Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.Hi. Im new here and know very little about cars. My roommate spent most of last week taking my starter out. Whenever i tried to start my car, the key wud turn but nothing happened. We had the starter tested and it failed. I bought a new one and he put it in for me. That night i had to go to work. It started fine, and went to put gas in. Then when i tried starting it up, the key would turn but nothing happened. I saw a small puff of smoke come out of around my steering wheel, so i got out and opened my hood and saw nothing. So went to start my car again and it started. As i drove away, it was acting like it didnt want to get up to speed. Something told me to pullover. I did, and shut the car off. Then when i turned the key, nothing happens. I left it over night, and when i went back to try and start it, the key now wont even turn. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently my main issue is the fact my key wont turn at all. Ive tried moving the wheel left to right. I dont have any luck. Is there anything else i can try?

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
Is the steering wheel actually locked? When you say you tried to move the steering wheel from left to right, etc., did it move? The key will not turn as long as the wheel is in it's locked position. You need to give more info.
The steering wheel lock is mechanical, so wiring has little to do with this, or with the ignition key actually turning - so it will not explain the puff of smoke you got. But the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter can explain the puff of smoke. The black/yellow wire that runs from the ignition switch goes to the starter solenoid - you may want to check this wire.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Puffs of smoke from anywhere other than the exhaust is not normal. (Rarely even there.)

Puffs of smoke from under the dash need to be investigated before you do much else to the car. Most likely something "bad" has happened and if not corrected, it might get worse. Hopefully a fuse has blown, limiting the damage to the failed (source of the smoke) part.

I could give you the story about electric parts running on smoke, (You let the smoke out!) but you might not realise it was my brand of humour. ;) see: Magic smoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
378 Posts
.Hi. Im new here and know very little about cars. My roommate spent most of last week taking my starter out. Whenever i tried to start my car, the key wud turn but nothing happened. We had the starter tested and it failed. I bought a new one and he put it in for me. That night i had to go to work. It started fine, and went to put gas in. Then when i tried starting it up, the key would turn but nothing happened. I saw a small puff of smoke come out of around my steering wheel, so i got out and opened my hood and saw nothing. So went to start my car again and it started. As i drove away, it was acting like it didnt want to get up to speed. Something told me to pullover. I did, and shut the car off. Then when i turned the key, nothing happens. I left it over night, and when i went back to try and start it, the key now wont even turn. What could be wrong?
[I think a wire may have melted. Did your mechanic remember to reattach the heavy ground wire that attaches to the top bolt that retains the starter motor? An easy thing to over look. Without this heavy ground wire the motor may look for an alternative ground source through a light gauge ignition switch wire which will over heat but may work for one or two starts before melting. I'm no expert in this area (or any area) so this can be considered a wild guess but something to check.]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts