Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starter Motor wont crank the engine. Replaced battery and Starter Motor, both main 12v and switch signal present at starter motor but wont crank the engine. Any suggestion? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,660 Posts
Is the engine seized? :huh:

Try wrenching it over by the crank pulley bolt, turning it clockwise.

Welcome aboard too.

·
Super Moderator
17,660 Posts
Not common unless internal engine noises developed at the last running moments, or it overheated, was over-revved, or you ran it out of oil. :(

Even then, you would HEAR a significant clank as the starter engages the flywheel.

Let's hope for an electrical circuit or battery issue.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
After rolling engine by hand (not seized verification),

Perform Voltage drop test (battery(+) to main starter stud) , and battery(-) to engine block (ground side) under load.

Check for 12vdc at "S" terminal of starter..

.... Philip

·
Registered
839 Posts
....Check for 12vdc at "S" terminal of starter......
UNder load, it will fall maybe a few volts below 12....
but we still do not know if the engine is seized.....or maybe everything is OK now and we have no feedback....

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
UNder load, it will fall maybe a few volts below 12....
but we still do not know if the engine is seized.....or maybe everything is OK now and we have no feedback....
That is why you were advised to roll the engine over by hand, verify seized or not..

Voltage test will be invalid, unless free to roll..

... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS to all, engine started after turning the crank by the crank pulley bolt clockwise. I'm still confused at to the engine seized. I'm not sure if their is any relation but everything started by my son connection the positive cable terminal of the car to the battery making contact to the to car metal with the wrench. THANKS again to everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
839 Posts
feedback received. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,660 Posts
Engine seizure isn't an off and on occurrence with the exception of very unusual circumstances. SOMETIMES an engine overheat or hydro-lock situation can momentarily cause engine locking.

connection the positive cable terminal of the car to the battery making contact to the to car metal with the wrench
I'm saying this as I think that you have an intermittent electrical problem, particularly in light of this recent shorting of the battery terminal. I suspect that the engine started by chance, in other words.

Close inspection of the battery, connections to include starter and ground leads are in order IMO. The starter proper could also be the culprit.

When it DID start, was there any foreign engine noise or exhaust smoke? Are the oil and coolant levels proper and lack any sort of discoloring?

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Am I thinking/reading correct the negative terminal touched bare metalwork with the spanner and it started IE: negative cable failure, or am I just being dumb ;)

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
The suggested voltage drop tests are still not completed, this will verify cables and connections..

OH well, it is easier to guess!

... Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cranking problem started after the positive terminal touched bare metal.

While turning the crank pulley movement did not show any signs of engine seized, it did help to start the engine by use of the ignition switch. The car has being running normally since yesterday noon.

I'm not sure what really caused the starter from cranking the engine.

The original symptom; when ignition switch activated, relay activation sounded but no starter motor engine cranking.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
It is now starting because when you shorted to ground the high resistance break is now temporarily welded..

The issue will return...

... Philip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts