Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, Fella's!

For about the lasy three days I have picked up on the fact that, after I get the car started, occasionally, and seemingly at random, my starter will decide to start spinning. It does not do it in any predictable pattern, nor does it do it all the time or constantly, but every once in a while I will hear some kind of whining, turn off my heater fan, and then you can hear the thing revving up and slowing down....and revving up and slowing down, etc. It will ecentually shut off, but it never seems to be due to anything I have done-revving my engine, slowing my engine, etc. It WILL go off once I turn off the key, but constantly turning the caer off while driving dow the road is not favorable or fun. It is VERY cold here right now (for here at least-0-7 degrees at night) and I was at first wondering if something in the weather was contributing, though I cannot imagine how) and I never noticed it until the temp dropped. Is this some normal weakness in the Sammy starters that occurs? Ort possibly some weakness in the ignition switch?

Just wondering which direction you guys would start looking. I do not have a garage, so want to go the right direction first while I am out there working on this thing getting frost-bite!!!

Thanks for any advice!

Michael

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is the starter bolted in tight? maybe it is slightly loose and it reamins engaged with the fly wheel and in essence the engine is turning the starter over? You may also have some sticky contacts that with the temp drop and some moisture (snow?) they might be affected?

Just my thoughts. I have not had this problem with my 'zuki so I'm just "spit ballin" with my ideas

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter is definitely acting on its own-it revs at different speeds than the engine-I can rev or slow the engine independently of the octaves of the spinning starter. Thanks for suggestion, though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i agree, first make sure the two bolts holding the starter on are good and tight! misalignment can get the gear stuck on the flywheel teeth

try starting the engine with the starter and then taking the tiny wire off the starter... the tiny wire is connected to the ignition system. drive it around with the tiny wire disconnected and see if it still spins.

if it doesnt it would suggest there is a problem with the ignition or (hopefully not) the wiring in the loom.

if it does, try giving the solenoid (small cylinder bit with the tiny wire connected to it) a few taps (not whacks ;)) with a hammer with the engine running. if that frees it up i would try to find a new solenoid or take the other one off and clean it out!

otherwise take the starter off and strip and rebuild it!

(if you need a new starter the sidekick\tracker\vitara\escudo ones are pretty much the same)

if you need to rebuild it there is a guide here:
1.3L Starter rebuild

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Pull the starter and take it to your local Vatozone/Kragen/Schucks/PepBoys/etc and have them test it. Since the solanoid is attached, they will be able to tell you if the starter OR the solanoid is the problem. I would do this before going after the ignition circuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts