Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find a "rear drum self adjuster repair kit" anywhere for Grand Vitara (the "star wheel" and adjuster lever). Is that a dealer only part? Tried NAPA, O'Riley, Auto Zone, and online search. No one even has a part number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good / used is probably your best bet. Hit your local Junk Yard. ;)
Unfortunately, I live on Maui and there seem to be no Grand Vitaras in the 2 small bone yards here. On the other hand it was 83F today.

I'll call the Suzuki dealer in Honolulu Monday and see if they can order a kit. Otherwise I guess the online used part finder is my only hope. However, they only want to ship the whole rear brake assembly. The parts I need weigh maybe 2 or 3 ounces. The whole brake assembly weighs at least 10 lbs. Shipping to Maui would cost 4 or 5 times more than the $25 for the whole assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got the "Starwheel" parts from the dealer - $60.

I see what you mean by the difficulty of correctly reinstalling the lower separator bar (see attachment).

It was a bear to get adjusted so the drum would fit. I eventually used a small pry bar after I finished the install to get the "teeth" on the bar and the movable "half gear" with the spring tension to seat in the proper position.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
Yep! It can be a PITA to assemble, but now you are an expert. ;)

Just don't set the shoe to drum tension too tight. BARELY making contact (when hand testing / revolving the drum) is where you need to be for starters. The rest will happen with the self-adjustment feature.

Glad that you got it sorted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also learned that if you remove the retaining pin spring clips after removing the top and bottom long springs, the clips come off real easy. Same for reassembly, put the clips on the pins and then install the long springs. Don't forget lithium grease on the contact points of the shoes and back plate or it will squeal like a pig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.