Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked on this forum since purchasing my 2019 Ignis SZ-T a few months back. It's a great forum and a mine of useful information. The Ignis is a great car marred by one thing and it's that the rear suspension squeaks when driving with someone is in the back seat. It's a really bothersome high pitched squeal. It's rare to hear anything with just the driver. I've had it back to Suzuki twice and it was better after the second visit but after a day or so the squeak came back as bad as ever. I'm going to take it to another dealer but I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue and has it been solved. Thank you all.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

I certainly haven't experienced what I believe you're reporting, albeit passengers really complain about the uncomfortableness of the suspension when I'm travelling with four people in the car.

Perhaps you could ask the dealer who looked at it what their diagnosis was and what they did to ameliorate the problem?

·
Registered
395 Posts
This issue has come up a couple of times and Bertie Taff reported a very similar problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately squeaks etc are difficult to diagnose and a workshop isn't going to load a car with three people and take a test drive. They will of course thoroughly examine the suspension and the Ignis rear suspension on the 2WD version is as simple as can be with a very limited number of squeak points.

There have been issues with the Ignis suspension from the outset - the original rear shock absorbers (41810-62R30) provided too little damping and the bump stops were inadequate and the suspension bottomed out over bumps and rough roads. From around mid 2017 Suzuki uprated the shock absorbers (41810-62R60) and this uprate was available as a retrofit (together with uprated front units) to older vehicles. These shock absorbers were larger in diameter and the rod bump-stop was much longer and a different shape to the original.

Some forum members have reported that the shock absorbers fitted to their Ignis are part number (41810-62R61) and these appear to be identical to the previous ones (41810-62R60) and were fitted to production cars from mid 2019. It appears that these shock absorbers were an upgrade to solve a squeaking problem! When significantly compressed the bump-stops at the top of the units trap air within the dirt shield and the noise is air being force released. The latest shock absorbers are identical to the previous but the bump stops now have a number of vertical channels which allows air to escape easily as the bump stop is compressed.

You don't say when your Ignis was registered but if it's pre mid 2019 it might be worth checking the part number stamped at the bottom of the shock absorber. If it's 41810-62R60, it could well be the issue and you might insist that your dealer contacts Suzuki Technical with a view to replacing the shock absorbers.

The rear shock absorbers on my Ignis (62R60) don't squeak when the car is loaded. Gloucester reports similar and I'm sure the same is true for many other owners. The issue often that parts such as plastic dirt shields and bump stops are multi sourced and there can be seemingly unimportant differences in detail design, dimensions and materials of construction which cause unexpected issues.

The important thing before a vehicle warranty runs out is to check out and complain about any issues. Replacement of the rear shock absorbers (Suzuki don't list the bump stops separately) is a £200+ job! If the car is out of warranty there is a much cheaper solution to replacing with Suzuki parts.

·
Registered
881 Posts
!!!!! Great response !!!!!

I've checked mine and they are indeed 41810-62R60 - my car was made around March 2018 (registered 15/6/2018).

Autocar reported on the issue on 23 February 2018:

.... though the "squeak" wasn't mentioned - only the ride quality.

I'd imagined the upgrade was a bit later than the mid-2017 date noted above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When i gave the Ignis a good looking over after I bought it, I could see that the front and rear dampers were newish. I've had 4 people plus a bootfull of shopping in the car quite a few times but I don't remember hearing any squeaks.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This issue has come up a couple of times and Bertie Taff reported a very similar problem a few weeks ago. Unfortunately squeaks etc are difficult to diagnose and a workshop isn't going to load a car with three people and take a test drive. They will of course thoroughly examine the suspension and the Ignis rear suspension on the 2WD version is as simple as can be with a very limited number of squeak points.

There have been issues with the Ignis suspension from the outset - the original rear shock absorbers (41810-62R30) provided too little damping and the bump stops were inadequate and the suspension bottomed out over bumps and rough roads. From around mid 2017 Suzuki uprated the shock absorbers (41810-62R60) and this uprate was available as a retrofit (together with uprated front units) to older vehicles. These shock absorbers were larger in diameter and the rod bump-stop was much longer and a different shape to the original.

Some forum members have reported that the shock absorbers fitted to their Ignis are part number (41810-62R61) and these appear to be identical to the previous ones (41810-62R60) and were fitted to production cars from mid 2019. It appears that these shock absorbers were an upgrade to solve a squeaking problem! When significantly compressed the bump-stops at the top of the units trap air within the dirt shield and the noise is air being force released. The latest shock absorbers are identical to the previous but the bump stops now have a number of vertical channels which allows air to escape easily as the bump stop is compressed.

You don't say when your Ignis was registered but if it's pre mid 2019 it might be worth checking the part number stamped at the bottom of the shock absorber. If it's 41810-62R60, it could well be the issue and you might insist that your dealer contacts Suzuki Technical with a view to replacing the shock absorbers.

The rear shock absorbers on my Ignis (62R60) don't squeak when the car is loaded. Gloucester reports similar and I'm sure the same is true for many other owners. The issue often that parts such as plastic dirt shields and bump stops are multi sourced and there can be seemingly unimportant differences in detail design, dimensions and materials of construction which cause unexpected issues.

The important thing before a vehicle warranty runs out is to check out and complain about any issues. Replacement of the rear shock absorbers (Suzuki don't list the bump stops separately) is a £200+ job! If the car is out of warranty there is a much cheaper solution to replacing with Suzuki parts.
Thank you so much for this. Knowledge is power and I'll be paying the Suzuki dealer a visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mines got the fat rear shock absorbers. To be honest its very rare that it's loaded up and I don't seem to have a squeal problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for this. Knowledge is power and I'll be paying the Suzuki dealer a visit tomorrow.
Called in at the dealers this morning and they said that they would contact Suzuki. They've just phoned to say that replacement parts have been ordered! Fitting booked for Thursday!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Dont think I need to do anything because no squeaks on my Ignis but if someone is out of warranty what's the cheaper solution to spending a fortune on new shox?

·
Registered
395 Posts
It would be easy to modify the existing bump stops to replicate the modified pump stops. Essentially Suzuki have grooved lengthwise the inner periphery of the bump stop so to reduce the contact area between bump stop and damper piston. A machine shop would do this for a few pounds. Alternatively there are loads of bump stops available for retrofitting - search for "shock absorber protection kit". It's also usual practice to apply silicon grease to the inner part of the bump stop to prevent sticking and hence noise as the sump-stop rubs against the piston rod when it's compressed / released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to report that the Ignis suspension has been totally silent since fitting new rear shock absorbers a few days ago. Even with the car fully loaded, the annoying chirping / squeaking is no more.

It does seem wrong though to throw away a pair of perfectly decent shock absorbers just for the want of replacing two cheap bump stops!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts