Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I push the clutch in on my 95 Geo Tracker 4X4 it squeaks, loudly. I've lubricated all the linkage, but it won't stop. It starts around 2/3 through the clutch push. Clutch works great. No problems. Just this noise that's irritating.
Noises are hard to follow, but it sounds and feels like it's at my foot, not in the engine compartment.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Chances are it's the cable squeaking, and not the pedal. Is your cable adjusted properly? Have you checked it for kinks, or binding where it runs through the firewall?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable is new. Or I should say maybe 10 months old. I checked that first and had my daughter listen as I pushed the clutch in. If you're near the right front fender, where the clutch lever is, it sounds like it's the lever on the transmission. If you're in the car, it sounds like it's the linkage. I would say it starts to squeak just as the tab on the clutch peddle hits the button so the car will turn over. That will be the next thing I check I guess.

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
It hits that button practically at the end of its travel (the actual button is only about 1/4" high), so, at least from your first post, I wouldn't think that the button was the problem. Of course, you can always get under the dash and push the button in by hand, to see if it's squeaking. Or get under the dash and push the clutch pedal in by hand, and see if that's where the squeak comes from.
You may also want to the do 'one inch' test on the cable....Have someone in the car, and someone at the end of the cable by the tranny. Push the yoke lever at the end of the cable inward toward the tranny until you feel resistance. Then have the person in the car depress the clutch pedal. The cable should move forward about 1 inch at the tranny. The rubber sheath should not move at all. This could be the source of your problem.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
FWIW, there are plastic bushings on which the clutch pedal shaft rides/rotates. If you want a picture, PM me your email address, as I just pulled an assembly from a 97 Tracker today. It's a different clutch lever from yours, but the bushings are the same.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Also check the firewall for stress fractures....

... Philip

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ranger88den was kind enough to send me pictures of what he thought could be the problem. And the more I think about it, it is very possible, as this is what it sounds and feels like as I push the clutch in.
He has asked me to post some pictures so others will see what he has been working on.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts