Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after pulling out my hair and wanting to push the car off a mountain and wish it the best here i am. my mother has a 93 sidekick 16v at 4x4 and she loves it its like a mini tank the problem is it idles fine. sometimes it drives fine other times when you give it some gas to speed up it spits and sputters and backfires through the exhaust not a loud backfire but like a pop or a couple of pops if u let off the gas itl straighten itself out if u press it again it might do it again or it might be fine sometimes u have to do this multiple times but it doesn't do it all the time u can go 60 down the road without a problem then slow down for a turning car and speed back up fine then u can slow down for another turning car and itl act up it seems to do this more in cold or hot weather. my uncle was the one who did most of the work on it and he passed away from lung cancer so i kind of got drafted lol. im not exactly sure what all he did to it so i will start with what i do know it has been doing this for a couple of years from my understanding so if it was the timing the motor would be gone by now new plugs wires cap and rotor he checked tps map and another sensor idle position maby? with it being interment like it is im thinking cat converter, ecu, or egr but i could be way off here any thoughts re starting points would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
May I suggest you advise the location...

I would check the TPS first.....

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Maybe you could advise more exact detail - when you start the car from cold start, what is your engine rpm? When the car warms up, what is the engine rpm? Is the check engine light on with the key on, and off once the car starts? Can you do a compression test on the engine and post the results? (If you do the test, take all the spark plugs out, pull the F1 fuse to stop spark and fuel, have a fully charged battery, and floor the gas pedal as you are cranking for the best compression).
What kind of gas mileage do you get? Have you ever changed the spark plug wires in the car? When you pull out the spark plugs, what do the tips of the spark plugs look like, and do they all look the same way??
For problems with most of the sensors, the ECU should throw a code if it sees a major fault with them. Can you get a code 12 from the CEL? How to do it is here, and all you need is a metal paper clip:
Check Engine Light
(The little connector that you are looking for will either be just by your battery, or by your passenger side front headlight, a little white box with a black locking top, dangling on a few wires (either 4 or 6 wires). The black locking top has a tab on it that you have to press to get it off. You will be jumping the blue/yellow wire to the black wire pin with the paper clip. Then with the key on, the CEL will flash: Flash pause flash flash longer pause means code 12.
There, that's enough homework for you for the moment. Oh, and when you post back, please try to put 'periods' at the ends of your sentences. Makes for much easier reading!! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.