Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1.3 carb Sammy died going down te highway. I couldn't get fire so I checked to see if the cam shaft was turning when I started it. No go. Spun timing belt. I'm wondering if this is an interference motor? I had literally (15min prior) put all new valves and rebuilt head on it. I hope my valve
Job isn't shot. Also. It looks like part of the cam wasn't getting oil. The love right above cylinder 2 exhaust. Idk if I am going to need new pistons and valves. Or a new cam or what. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Sounds like you may have flipped the head gasket whilst installing it - a very easy mistake to make - it blocks the oil way leading to the cam bearings - cam seizes for lack of lube and then the belt either snaps or strips the teeth off.

You may need a new head & cam.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and got a water pump too. It was only $25 so I figured why not. I'd rather it not go out on me. Is a new water pump at 130000 miles a good idea?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you may have flipped the head gasket whilst installing it - a very easy mistake to make - it blocks the oil way leading to the cam bearings - cam seizes for lack of lube and then the belt either snaps or strips the teeth off.

You may need a new head & cam.
Also. The tensioner spring had come off and was wrapped around the crank pulley. Would that have caused the pulley to go ad instead?

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Also. The tensioner spring had come off and was wrapped around the crank pulley. Would that have caused the pulley to go ad instead?
That by itself can probably cause the timing belt to jump teeth - what condition was the belt in when you removed it - was it broken? were there missing and/or damaged teeth?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a brand new belt. So I noticed that the timing mark I had didn't line up correctly with the mark I had on the dizzy so I thought maybe the cam timing pulley spun. I pulled it of and the attached photos show what it looked like. Why would that happen? I'm guessing a frozen cam would right? But would I still be able to turn the cam by hand?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cam stuck . Stick a fork in it . It's done......
You will need a new cam. And at the very least re- surfaced journals and cam bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts