Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys a couple questions, why do the reverse spring thing on my samy? Also why put jeep springs on? Is it a ride differance or a lift differance? I see alot on it but nothing on why.

Thanks,

joey

·
Registered
201 Posts
other people can correct me if im wrong, but i think how that works is usually the stock sierra/samurai rear springs are moved up the front (RUF conversion) then jeep springs on the back. advantage (from what i understand) is that because the springs are longer its a smoother ride on road and more articulation offroad...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
that's correct. The longer the springs that you have, the better the spring rate. Longer springs give it a softer ride, but the samurai doesn't have enough room for long springs in it's stock form. Using extended shackles and relocating the hangers you can use longer shackles like the jeeps use.

·
Registered
201 Posts
well now i have a question, out of curiosity. anyone done a RUF without changing the rear springs at all? could it be done with just extended shackles?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you can use a "L" shaped shackle to extend the eye forward a little. It only has to move 1.5 inches forward and Then you relocate the front springs rear hanger 1.5 inches back. If you don't adjust the mounting points your axel will not be centered in the wheel well.

If you want to extend your wheel base a little then you can cut your fender and leave the rear mount of the front springs in the stock location and just extend the front shackle out 3 inches. Moving it 3 inches you might want to extend the frame, but you can just use a drop shackle like the Jeep YJ conversions use. Don't forget to adjust your steering linkage and get a longer drive shaft for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts