Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first samurai it's a 86 hardtop , was looking at front leaf springs and they are flat. Is this normal on factor springs or are they wore out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like its time for a new set of springs ,May as well do the shocks and bushes while your at it. makes a huge diffrence

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stock front springs are pretty much flat....so it is normal, IMO.

Dam that means i destroyed a set (one of) OME`s or something non stock when i hit the stump.
Springs off my spare car 93 model seem flatter with one less leaf then the ones that came installed on the 89.
I be in the market for set of OME`s because the stock ones don`t feel as good as the ones i originally had.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just got my OMEs delivered from lowrange yesterday. cant wait to get the new suspension installed and out on the trail

·
Registered
36 Posts
just got my OMEs delivered from lowrange yesterday. cant wait to get the new suspension installed and out on the trail

I can not wait too update again either ,Something not right about the standards after driving on a tough set.So different, I was sure they were just buggered , Especially hard turns, Feels more lightly too roll over. It wont but it just feels like that ,Too soft

·
Registered
25 Posts
i went with 1.5" shackles and 1.5" ome springs. was a little leary about the shackles, but william at lowrange talked me into them. im really curious to see what this lift will look and feel like.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i went with 1.5" shackles and 1.5" ome springs. was a little leary about the shackles, but william at lowrange talked me into them. im really curious to see what this lift will look and feel like.
I went with the same springs and no shackles. Yours should end up 3/4 inch taller. The tires are 28". BFG lists the size as 27.5", but with new tread, they measure over 28" (measured the hub center to ground/2).
Here's an idea of what the springs alone get you:

The yellow one in the back is set up the same. The springs seem to be keeping their arch pretty well, as it hasn't sagged any.
What shocks did you decide to go with?

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks azelgin im excited that looks sweet. great stance. hows the ride? are they softer than the stock springs? are you running a sway bar? im thinking about removing my sway bar

·
Registered
264 Posts
thanks azelgin im excited that looks sweet. great stance. hows the ride? are they softer than the stock springs? are you running a sway bar? im thinking about removing my sway bar
The yellow one rides SWEET! I went with the OME shocks and it's better than the stock Suzuki springs/shocks by far.
The red one has some Gabriels on it and it is fine on the big bumps, but going slow, you can feel things as small as a dime (well, maybe not that small) laid flat on the asphalt.
I had some Monroes on the yellow one, until I blew them out. Rode about as bad as the Gabriels. They also don't have the travel, to keep up with the springs and reach full extension, before the spring runs out of even moderate rebound travel. I put a set of OME springs/shocks on my FJ40 and that's when I found out how nice the matched OME shocks were. Went back and ordered some shocks for my Suzuki.
My wife drives the red one and doesn't know what she's missing. I'm not changing out those, until she starts complaining, or, until I have to drive it.
I've been told there are some shocks out there, that ride as good as the OMEs, but nobody offered up a part number, so, I'm staying with what I know works.
Yes, I'm still running the front sway bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for the insight azelgin. im a toyota guy building this sammy for my fiance. i went with the doetsch system 3000 shocks. william at lowrange said he liked them as much as the ome

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for the insight azelgin. im a toyota guy building this sammy for my fiance. i went with the doetsch system 3000 shocks. william at lowrange said he liked them as much as the ome

Just a pic of the spring i destroyed , No matter how good they are ,no match for a stump at speed , Still it drove out the bush and 30+km`s home

·
Registered
36 Posts
thats awesome morbo. at that speed id be proud the spring held up. no frame damage either?
Frame is good , A few dents up its side from where it laid over ,Did not even break the mirror , It did not do the steering box any good actually bent the cap

I had the bigger wheels on it was mainly resting on them , you could plainly see under the car. My phone was in my pocket before the hit,did not find it till we righted the car , it was behind the drivers seat , spewin i didnt get pics of the zook on it`s side .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts