Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need new springs now and maybe want to spoa later when get more money.
can get stock spring size now and put on top later?
what are some solid cheaper springs?

I live in hawaii and drive through lots of mud, sand, rocks and steep hills almost daily for surfing but mostly drive on roads as a daily driver.
I need good on and off road set up.
I don't want huge tires cannot afford gears now.
-whats the biggest tire for stock gears on 88 samurai?
what are the positive/ negative of spoa?

I am a glass blower and weld glass everyday using 02 & propane,
how hard is welding metal? expensive?

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes you can get stock springs now and spring them over later. you just flip the center aligning pin when you do so.

when spoa you some sort of steering correction, such as a z-link (works), or OTT steering setup (best).

i run 32's on my stock drivetrain and i have a hard time with power in 4th gear on a bad day. 5th gear is absolutely useless. i will be gettin gears to fix this soon.

after i did my spoa (rocky road outfitters 6 inch) i ran 235's on it, which measured out around 28 inches with a tape measure. it would use all 5 gears and was good on and offroad. heres how it looked...

i now have gone to YJ's springs, still spoa with 32 inch super swamper ssr's and it looks like this....

the yj's give it a much better ride and more lift. you can however run yj's in spua and still benefit from a softer ride and not have so much height.

as far as welding im just learning myself lol good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
related question

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question which might benefit the original poster as well, so...

How much lift do the yj springs add? I have spoa with stock springs, and need new ones, but I dont want to go with the yj ones if they give much additional lift.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yj's in spring under axle will give you about the same lift as stockers on spring over axle. Spring under YJ's will also give you better ride stability, softer ride, and better handling than stock springs in spoa configuration.

welding qustion... if you plan on welding with oxy/acetaline, it's a lot different than welding glass. To learn, I got a cheap mig flux wire welder. Easy to learn and cheap to use. Make sure you get one that has inert gas feed. I bought a gasless flux welder and planed on converting it to gas eventually, I should have just got the one set up for it to begin with. It would have been an easier learning curve and I would have much cleaner welds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts