Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm looking to carry out some repairs on my girlfriends Suzuki Alto 1.1 2004.

The problems I have is the drivers CV boot is split, ive spent a good while cleaning the grease from the area it leaked to get that job out the way first, now im faced with the task of replacing the boot itself, is the easiest thing to do is get one of these cone boot kits ?

Also could anyone tell me roughly what the procedure is to remove everything so i have access to the boot to then change it.

The other thing is im still learning some parts of mechanics as its only a hobby of mine, i have never seen this type of nut with the metal part facing down the nut of the track rod end... i need to replace this, what do i need to do to remove this metal prod ? is it just a case of levering it horizontal and cutting it off? as my normal socket will not fit over the nut.

Is there a special tool required.

Also if anyone could recommend me a place to purchase both parts (cv drivers boot and drivers track rod end) i would be very great full.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
12,258 Posts
What you're looking at there is called a castellated nut (the top of the nut has crenellations like the top of a castle tower), and the metal "prod" is the bent end of a split pin - grab a pair of pliers and straighten the split pin and then tap it gently through the rod end until you can grab the head and pull it free - it's there to prevent the nut from working loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I found the nut type then about the pin but im glad youve backed up what i thought, is it usual for the new kits to come with new pins?

Also im going to use a cone stretch kit for the CV boot, could anyone roughly tell me what needs to be taken off so i can get to the stage of using the cone to slide the boot over.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone be able to tell me the rough procedure for changing the CV boot? probably fairly easy but im worried i might need to drain the gearbox oil or something... anyone please??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts