Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am continuing on my Mis-adventures with my new to me 98 Sidekick. It has a phantom power draw which I am guessing is from the amp and aftermarket stereo. I opened it up and wanted some opinions on how to proceed. Instead of getting the adapter to the stock radio the previous owner did…well, this. It appears to have new connectors though, so would most be plug and play?
The car made a terrible buzzing sound from the marine speakers from the second the car went on and I am not sure what that was from. The previous owner said it was due to cheap rca’s next to the power, but I certainly don’t know. Also, the front 4 inch speakers weren’t attached anywhere they were just dumped in the holes, so if someone has a picture of the actual mounting point I would really appreciate it.
So what would you do if you were not an experienced car audio person? Try to rewire? Leave it? Take it to a car audio shop? Thanks, and I hope y’all are having a good weekend. AE68FCD6-A9BA-410C-A749-511F8C844486.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have noted, there is a existing amp but I think this is a low frequency amp only.

·
Super Moderator
15,756 Posts
So what would you do if you were not an experienced car audio person? Try to rewire? Leave it? Take it to a car audio shop? Thanks, and I hope y’all are having a good weekend.
Probably start by seeking advice and I don't mean from the likes of us - from someone who can take a good look at what is there.

If you lack experience, trying to rewire is likely to have it's challenges, if there's a phantom power draw, leaving it is not an option, and it is in fact a second reason to seek help, for a person without experience, tracking down power draw can be very confusing, although the buzz as soon you switch on suggests something is incorrectly wired - personally I would be tempted to at the very least disconnect, if not completely remove all "non factory" wiring.

I'd also suggest making a list of what you have and then determining what can be done with it, assuming it's in good working order - based on the pictures, the amp is a five channel, full frequency unit - four channels presumably for the normal left & right, front & rear speakers, and the fifth for a subwoofer, as it has a low pass filter. Once you have that information you can then make a decision on how you want to proceed.

Full disclaimer - my days for high power car audio are long behind me - I'm happy with a decent head unit, and good quality speakers, preferably "separates", combined with a small, under-seat active subwoofer to augment the bass. It is, in my opinion, not possible to deliver true high fidelity sound in a vehicle (any vehicle) and in something like a Sidekick, there is little point in spending a ton of money trying to do so, I know there are folks who will disagree, to them I say, I walked the road you're on, feel free to duplicate my efforts, the laws of physics (as in the wavelength of a bass note in free air) aren't going to change any time soon.

Reactions: Zeeker

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That is exactly the response I needed, thanks! I definitely want to do a little underseat sub (I read some used Rockville?) and just a couple of speakers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your buzz could simply be a ground issue with the amp. Sometimes a poor ground can give you that feedback...but running your RCA cables alongside the power wire can also do that. So lets talk end goal...do you want an amplifier? If I remember correctly, you are removing the marine speakers, correct? The main power wire for the amp should have a fuse somewhere close to the battery, and you could pull that fuse to see if that helps your power draw. Me personally, I would be looking for an interior light staying on...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your buzz could simply be a ground issue with the amp. Sometimes a poor ground can give you that feedback...but running your RCA cables alongside the power wire can also do that. So lets talk end goal...do you want an amplifier? If I remember correctly, you are removing the marine speakers, correct? The main power wire for the amp should have a fuse somewhere close to the battery, and you could pull that fuse to see if that helps your power draw. Me personally, I would be looking for an interior light staying on...
I am not 100% with what I want to do with the stereo. I only have the two speakers in the front now, and they're definitely underwhelming. I realized that I don't have a power draw, I was just really unlucky and the battery ate it shortly after I got the truck. I did unplug the rear amp, and removed the marine speakers, but I realize that the prior owner appears to have cut out the mounting point for the front corner speakers.....they just sit in there. It's comical - why would you cut out the only place to attach them to? Good grief.

I don't know a thing about car audio. I'd like to have an amp, sure - but without a bunch of fabrication, where does one put speakers in these things? I saw someone did a speaker in the tailgate.....what's recommended and relatively simple? I don't need an amazing system, but I'd like something not awful, which is where I am now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The rig should have originally had speakers behind the back seat, in the side panels. Are these no longer in place?

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is a picture of one of the factory rear speaker set ups...this is a JLX, so top of the line.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts