Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going down the highway and all of a sudden i watched my speedometer go from 60 to 0 and now it doesnt work at all and neither does my odometer. Any help or suggestions on where i should start looking to resolve and fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!!:confused:

·
Banned
329 Posts
The speedometer is cable driven. So I'd say either the cable broke (most likely), or something broke in the speedometer head, or the speedo gear in the tcase broke.
The temp gauge is electrical. Does the fuel gauge work? If so, then the wire that runs from the temp sensor to the temp gauge is probably broke somewhere (or possibly just came disconnected from the sensor). If the fuel gauge doesn't work either, then it is probably one of the fine wires on the back of the gauges that is broken...it can be repaired by putting a new wire in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know both of these might be stupid questions but Where might I look to locate the speedometer cable you are talking about as well as the temp sensor? I know the temp sensor usually just comes out of the block but is it on the driver side or passenger side etc?

·
Banned
329 Posts
I know both of these might be stupid questions but Where might I look to locate the speedometer cable you are talking about as well as the temp sensor? I know the temp sensor usually just comes out of the block but is it on the driver side or passenger side etc?
The speedometer cable goes into the transfer case and runs to the back of the speedometer in the instrument cluster.
The engine coolant temp sensor is a single wire sensor that is actually at the front of the engine, below where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. I don't remember the wire color, off the top of my head....I think it is yellow/white.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks like you might be in need of this - Ack's FAQ 1986 to 1987 SJ410 Factory Service Manual

See page 14-6 for where the speedometer cable connects to the transfer case.

See page 21-3 to see how the dash cluster can be removed for access to the speedometer cable where it connects to the speedometer.

More than likely, either the speedometer cable broke or slipped off the back of the speedometer. Probably the former as the connection after 20+ years is most likely frozen in place.

Once you have the dash cluster out, then you can do the trouble shooting mentioned in the FSM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts