Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I am looking for the speedometer driven gear for my 96 Tracker 4x4 5 speed... its whiteish with 19 teeth.. I have tryd a bunch of places with a bunch of luck... too bad its all bad luck.. I have my digits crossed that some one out here knows where I can find this gear... Thanks for any help

Ken

·
Super Moderator
26,903 Posts
Try your search using 1996 Suzuki Sidekick (and whatever engine you have) rather than Tracker. Trackers are not well supported, but are really a rebadged Suzuki Sidekick. That being said, you may be able to find one in a junkyard or pick n pull, etc. Suzuki is pulling out of the US market, but you may still be able to find one of these at the dealer. You can try the online catalog here:
http://www.suzukicarparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214820

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wonder if they are all the same throughout the models/years...If they are I should pull one of mine, model it up and start printing replacements.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Can you post a picture of yours with a quarter or something for reference? That way I can see if I have sufficient resolution on my machine to make a new one.

If I can do it, we may be able to make a deal for you to test the gear for me ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hey All, I am looking for the speedometer driven gear for my 96 Tracker 4x4 5 speed... its whiteish with 19 teeth.. I have tryd a bunch of places with a bunch of luck... too bad its all bad luck.. I have my digits crossed that some one out here knows where I can find this gear... Thanks for any help

Ken
Did I miss what the problem is with this gear?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I missed it too the first time I looked at it... But it seems that the Speedometer cable stopped froze at some point while the car was moving and the speedometer "Drive" Gear did not stop and it wore a small spot on the "Driven" Gear so when the driven gear made the revolution to the worn spot it would stop.. It took a good look to see it,, felt it was more like it.. This might be the cause of a lot of peeps getting a new cluster when they have this problem. beats me.. I have since made repairs to the three teeth on the gear, Hope it holds up. Still looking for a replacement.. if anybody has a part number it sure would help..

Ken

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not to be critical but I have an appt w/my eye doctor tomorrow because I looked at those pictures. I will not ask you to point out which teeth until after I get back from the doc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really doubt you could see it in those pics anyways.. and I have made repairs to it and reinstalled it.. but it was I will say a 1/16th of an inch deep divot in the middle of the three teeth I could not believe it was doing what it did. But I could install the gear rotate the drive shaft by hand and observe it stop in the same place. After repairs it works fine, just not sure how long repairs will hold up.

Good luck with your Eye Doctor

·
Banned
329 Posts
I wonder if they are all the same throughout the models/years...If they are I should pull one of mine, model it up and start printing replacements.
No, they are not the same. There are different tooth counts, depending on what gear ratio the axle has and what the tire size is.
The problem with making replacements is I believe the gear is made/molded onto the metal part. Now the drive gear (that is on the tranny/tcase output shaft) is all plastic (or whatever they are made out of), so you could probably make those. But again, there are different sizes (tooth counts), so you couldn't make one that works for all.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
IF all else fails...
For a speedometer a GPS could be used it can also track miles but that would be a real pain. But the speedo part could keep you from a ticket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess there is no sense in asking you for this part as you already know what I'm needing.. But as far as printing one or more of these... Old Chevy's use gears similar and they are all plastic including the shaft, I do not see why this application would not work too. Just a thunk...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only other reason is if speedo is not working it trips check engine code 0500 I believe it was, and no one in a state inspection gonna pass it.. beside always having a check engine light on is a pain.. bypassable but still a pain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.