Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
My speedometer in my Suzuki Sierra SJ413 1.3 recently decided to break. I have purchased the speedo cable, but unfortunately i have never done anything like this before :confused:. Could anyone give me a detailed description of what to do, or even a link which gives me a guide which i could follow.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
speedometer cable

ok this is it first you have to remove your dashboard mine for example has four screws in the front panel so it's easy to remove when done you'll find rigth behind the speedometer the plug. dissconect it and follow it trough your cockpit it goes from the dashboard all the way down the corner of the driverside just below the driver seat it goes out of the cockpit and goes below the chassis it continues on to the gearbox there you'll find the second plug thas is attached to the gearbox with another screw unplug it and then replace with the new one starting from the gearbox (don't forget to secure it again or it will get loose due to reving) and make it trough the way you just followed plug it again to the dash and replace the dash into position and you are done. In my case I needed to remove my steering wheel in order to remove the dashboard I'll try to post some photos so you can identify parts :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
you may have to remove the steering wheel. I had to replace mine at 120K and was real careful prying the dask console instead of removing the steering wheel. Ken

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cable Lube Question

I replaced the speedo cable on our 87 last month. Beforehand I removed the new cable and lubed it as I slid it in the sleeve with the supplied tube of grease.

It works but the speedometer needle pulses under 40 and I hear the cable clicking inside the dash. Could I have over-lubricated? Of course it’s cold here.

Don’t know to wait for warm weather to see it the grease flows or disconnect at transfer case and pull the cable…

Thanks, Ken T.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You don't have to pull out the whole dash... don't let them scare you.
You only have to pull the gauge cluster out enough to get to the cable. You can reach up behind the cluster to disconnect it before pulling the cluster. It helps to remove the two retaining bolts that hold the steering column to the dash and let it drop to the seat. This lets the cluster come out easier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh yes, I did it without dropping the steering column. But the new cable is making noise. As the inside flex cable installs from the case end, I was just going to leave the outside cable attached to speedometer and pull out inside from under the vehicle, wipe it down to be sure grease is evenly distributed

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You don't have to pull out the whole dash... don't let them scare you.
You only have to pull the gauge cluster out enough to get to the cable. You can reach up behind the cluster to disconnect it before pulling the cluster. It helps to remove the two retaining bolts that hold the steering column to the dash and let it drop to the seat. This lets the cluster come out easier.
or you can snap off the emergency flasher switch.... dang... I wish I had thought to drop my steering column when I pulled my dash last summer. :(

Beerman, I don't have a cable in front of me right now, but I think it may be difficult to pull the end of it through and then stuff it back in and have it line up with the speedo. .... maybe you can. I had a dificult enough time re-stuffing a choke cable that I pulled out of it's sleeve, and that was with it completely removed. Don't pull it out too far without checking to see if you can stick it back in easily.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i dont know about anyone else but i didnt pull anything it took me a total of about 10-15 min to change. All i did was reach behind and unhook it and plug the new one in. Mine also clicks and pulses at low speeds, but it works so whatever

·
Registered
6 Posts
O.K. My Spedometer Cable is Stuck

I broke my spedometer cable going through the woods, I guess a branch snagged it. So the problem is that it broke right at the t case and I can't get it out!! Of course I took the retainer bolt out and sprayed the hell out of the insert but it don't budge. Should I heat it? Maybe sink a screw into it on the side to hopefully work it out? I dunno Whattsup what would you do!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts