Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are interchangeable speedo gears that will allow you to adjust for tire size? I have 235/75/15 which give me 69mph when actual speed is 65.

Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
the funny thing is that with bigger than stock tires, the speedo should be reading LOWER than actual speed, not higher..... :eek:

no alternative gear sets that i know of, but even if they existed, it would mean tearing into the transfer case to replace the worm and not just the pinion the pinion.... is that something youd like to do?

any gps based speedo will cheaper and easier to install....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the funny thing is that with bigger than stock tires, the speedo should be reading LOWER than actual speed, not higher..... :eek:

no alternative gear sets that i know of, but even if they existed, it would mean tearing into the transfer case to replace the worm and not just the pinion the pinion.... is that something youd like to do?

any gps based speedo will cheaper and easier to install....
Haha yeah I wrote that backwards. Did not realize it was such a big deal to change it out. Just remember my 240z and ford truck had the gear at the end of the speedo cable and was easy swap out. I’ll just continue estimating. Thank!

·
Registered
735 Posts
yep, sounded odd...

now that i think of it, since all kinds of diff gearing existed, then mama suzuki could have devised different speedo ratios at the T/C to compensate... unless it was all taken care of in the speedo itself.

but seriously, gps speedos are super cheap....

·
Super Moderator
26,228 Posts
Does anyone know if there are interchangeable speedo gears that will allow you to adjust for tire size? I have 235/75/15 which give me 69mph when actual speed is 65.

Thanks
I’m running the same tire, and have found it simple enough to just add 6% to whatever my speedo indicates

·
Super Moderator
26,228 Posts
While absolutely not recommended, I am running them on the stock 5.5” rims, even though the recommended width for these tires is, I believe, 6 to 8 inches. I’m lucky enough where the tires aren‘t crowning, no rubbing, etc. No lift, either. The 235’s were really not what I wanted. I’d been running 225’s for years, but suddenly they were completely unavailable here. I have found that the 235’s, while looking really nice in the wheel well, have slightly impacted my mpg, acceleration and cornering….strangely more noticeably than the 225’s did. I’ve got the 8v engine. The tire is also too big (and heavy) for the spare tire mount on my talk gate, so my spare is a smaller size.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I’m in the same boat. I feel like there is way to much side flex. I looked at 8” wheels but they are too wide and not as preferred for a truck as much as cars. Seems 7” is a better size width for those size tires on trucks or off road type vehicles. I just ordered some 15x7 wheels. I hope to improve on the stability. Actually if I didn’t already Have brand new tires I’d go with a 16 x7 wheel.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,228 Posts
Here, this may help:

·
Administrator
17,750 Posts
Yeah I’m in the same boat. I feel like there is way to much side flex. I looked at 8” wheels but they are too wide and not as preferred for a truck as much as cars. Seems 7” is a better size width for those size tires on trucks or off road type vehicles. I just ordered some 15x7 wheels. I hope to improve on the stability. Actually if I didn’t already Have brand new tires I’d go with a 16 x7 wheel.

Thanks
More out of curiosity than anything else, where and how is the vehicle being used?

Most people who fit larger tires to these vehicles do so hoping to improve the vehicles' capabilities off pavement, and in an off pavement environment, increased sidewall flex is considered desirable, from personal experience, if you're not accustomed to it, the increased flex can be a little disconcerting, but I've had no difficulty in adjusting my driving style to suit - remember, you're driving a light truck, not a sport hatch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More out of curiosity than anything else, where and how is the vehicle being used?

Most people who fit larger tires to these vehicles do so hoping to improve the vehicles' capabilities off pavement, and in an off pavement environment, increased sidewall flex is considered desirable, from personal experience, if you're not accustomed to it, the increased flex can be a little disconcerting, but I've had no difficulty in adjusting my driving style to suit - remember, you're driving a light truck, not a sport hatch.
The zuki is used as a towed behind a 75 GMC Motorhome and occasionally as a “run into town” car. Otherwise it’s driven in and around my property here in South Alabama. I’m familiar with 4x4s with larger tires. I currently have a 2010 4x4 F350 srw and a 1972 Highboy. The former is stock the latter oversized. In this sandy terrain flex is not that important. The zuki came with a 2” lift and bigger tires. I may one day bring it back to stock height but for now a wider rim will suite my preferences.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts