Suzuki Forums banner

speakers?

22K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  johnksmith06 
#1 ·
what size speakers fit in the front kick panels on the 87 samurai? Im looking for a factory size.

#5 ·
my 87 did not come with rear speakers. Putting them in the soft top would be pointless since they would have to be very small speakers to fit in that tiny panel space and you couldn't hear them over the road noise. For rear speakers it's best to build an enclosure for them behind the rear seat.

#9 · (Edited)
Infinity Kappa 42.9i 4" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield Signature

those are the speakers im considering for the front

Infinity Reference 5030cs 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

and the 5 1/4 component set i plan to custom mount on the back seat side panels

XTC 4" Speaker Baffles Protect your speakers at Crutchfield.com

I'd like to at least get the speaker baffles in the front kick panels, so water doesnt rot the backside of the speaker cone.

Let me what you guys know about this setup? I'm going for the best of sound quality, with no compromises. I will also dynamatt behind all the speakers, and the complete floor pan. This is all going on a 87 tintop, so maybe I should do the ceiling also to keep the summer heat out, and the winter heat in.

#11 ·
if you have the tintop epitali you will have more room in the side panels for speakers than the soft tops. You might want to get some standoffs so that you can use a deeper cone and a larger magnet. The depth is still pretty limited in the sidepannel area. On my front, I cut the sheet metal a bit and put in 6x9's with a sub box and a 10" sub in the area behind the rear seat.

#15 ·
id love to do what my cousin did for his SWB landcruiser. he spent like 5k on a rollcage (more than i payed for my bludy sierra!!) but it is a full setup, all the way through the cab and into the back. bucket seats are attached to the rollcage and VERY securely bolted, downside being non adjustable. he has the regular seatbelts for through town driving as 5-point harnesses are illegal through town apparently... but has the harness attached to the rollcage. so, he can roll as much as he likes, car can be ripped to shreds, but he will remain as safe as possible in a roll... :p

anyways, thats off topic. i was considering putting a small sub in my 'zuk. just a small one...

#16 · (Edited)
I just upgraded the front speakers (and the deck) in my Samurai

The stock speakers are "dual-cone" 4 5/8" and attach to the inside the grill. The outer dimensions of the mounts are 5 1/4" so a 5 1/4" speaker should mount using the stock grills. The diameter of the mounting screws is 4 5/8" or 4 1/4" between holes if making a square out of the holes.

I did not remove the grills and find this out until installing the 1st set of speakers, but relied on several websites that indicated they were 4" speakers.

I figured a set of cheap but modern coaxial 4" speakers would be a nice upgrade, and a set of Pyle PL42BL 4-Inch speakers attached using the same mounting holes.

They actually produced less bass than the stockers and also went into distortion much sooner as well. I'm guessing due to the deck being rated at 25 watts RMS and the speakers being rated at 80. They did produce much better highs due to having a tweeter, but that was not enough to overcome the loss of lows.

I replaced the 4" speakers and stock grills with a set of Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5-Inch speakers. These slid right in and attached using the stock grill mounting screws. They are rated at 35 watts RMS and so are a much better match for the deck. I sandwiched the Pioneer grill on the passenger side between the speaker and tray(with some persuasion) and will use velcro to attach the driver side grill.

Much better lows and good highs and mids. Much better in all respects than the stock speakers now.

It is likely that 5 1/4" speakers would have satified me if I had gone with them first, but since I had already figured out that the Pioneer 6.5" speakers would fit without cutting or drilling, I decided to go with them.

I used a Pioneer DEH-2200UB CD Receiver with iPod Direct Control and USB and Aux Input as my deck replacement. It bolted in using the stock brackets with some persuasion.

I am very happy with the setup now, considering it is a 2 speaker setup. I'm sure I could have gotten a better setup with some more research and money, but this blows the stock 22 year old equipment out of the water, plays MP3s off of a USB stick and integrates directly with my girlfriend's Ipod, so I'm happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.