Suzuki Forums banner

Would you have returned these to service..??

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was bored during the Isolation so my mind turned to superfluous things..

Although my Tracker was running well, and I had installed the present plugs at about 126k, I decided to mosy out to the garage and do a service, Not wanting to get dirty, I connected a scope and ran a diagnostic, the plug/ignition passed well withing spec with a 15KV spark line and a good waveform..n Satisfied I closed the hood..

Last week, some 5 weeks later, again bored, I returned to my engine and this time I removed the plugs, installed a set of new NGK Iridium (sisters to the ones I removed), and again ran the scope diagnostics, this time I recorder 9-10KV on the waveform.. and a sweeter sounding engine..

Keep in mind the coils are capable of a 50k volt spike. so they were not stressed.. inspecting the plugs the electrodes were still satisfactory, and the gap was only about 7-10 thou wider than the standard set.. The outside displayed a fair amount of rust..

The present odometer reads 268K, so the plugs have 142k of running time..
Tracker plugs.jpg Tracker plug1.jpg Tracker plug2.jpg

Judge for yourself if the sparks could have been re-gaped and put back into service...

A set (X2) are currently $14.99 CAD plus tax, in my neck of the woods...

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I wish I could get them that cheap here, $25 each is cheapest I've found then for I'm my neck of the woods. And no, I wouldn't have returned them to service, worn and adjusting gap on iridium plugs is not recommended.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further info,

Now that the ECU has settled, the fuel consumption is 10km/L or 23.52 mpg, US gal, 70% S&G, 30% Hyway..

The fuel trims are ST +/- 1.5 ,.. LT +1.0

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
Now that the ECU has settled, the fuel consumption is 10km/L or 23.52 mpg, US gal, 70% S&G, 30% Hyway..
The question is ...
- what was it before you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The question is ...
- what was it before you changed the plugs?
Pretty close to what the consumption is now (has always been 9.5-10K/L), the fuel trims were ~+5... but now has smoother acceleration with new plugs.. some thing one does not notice over that long a span.. creeps up on you..

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
Not wanting to get dirty, I connected a scope and ran a diagnostic, the plug/ignition passed well within spec with a 15KV spark line and a good waveform. Satisfied I closed the hood..
Then you replaced the spark-plugs anyway (despite the testing results that you said were well within specs) and stated "now has smoother acceleration with new plugs".

So apparently your testing was flawed? :oops:

Simply replacing spark-plugs at like max 100K intervals, as recommended in the Service Manual, would have saved you the grief.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The test was not flawed, your expectation is flawed.

The test showed the plugs were well withing spec, the new plugs fire at a lower KV... Had I not been bored I could well have lived with the old plugs,

I am not sure you are qualified to ascertain if I was suffering any grief, stick with things you know, and don't make assumptions...

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
Well, you told us all was fine after "testing" yet you had noticeable improvement in acceleration after changing plugs . What does THAT tell you! :unsure:

I "know" this! It tells me that you can't have it both ways. You don't have to be a Rocket Surgeon to figure this out. 😘

Stick with Service Manual maintenance points and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why you have to be so negative, is it that you need some self appreciation..

Maybe you should read the complete post in context, or just leave it alone... do not inject you own interpretation into my posts..

·
Super Moderator
18,199 Posts
Ugh...it is an easy statement to read, and in context. No interpretation necessary. ;)

You spelled it out for us. I'm just not sure why.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me put it in term you as a machinist may understand,

The scope records FACTS, They are close in terms of numbers
The smoother acceleration is a feeling.., different with each individual and not necessarily correct or the same....

I would rather deal in solid measurable facts, just as you would if you had a piece of stock in a lathe... or maybe you would be OK if it felt good..

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
Phil - what sort of probe are you using to view the secondary waveform, and how are you connecting it, given that this vehicle is "coil-on-plug"?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phil - what sort of probe are you using to view the secondary waveform, and how are you connecting it, given that this vehicle is "coil-on-plug"?
I used a low amp clamp on the primary (all 4 parading), and an inductive pickup on the lance at the plug. Both traces coordinated and followed suite..
NOTE: the secondary is also reflected in the primary...so no mistake on interpretation..

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
How do you get the inductive pickup on the lance when it's down in the plug tube?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you get the inductive pickup on the lance when it's down in the plug tube?
Pure and simple, pull the coil up and insert an extension from the lance to the plug...

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is common practice by many diagnosticians to utilize a Subaru ignition wire as the plug end is long and reaches down the tube...

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I have spring wire extension with appropriate insulation on it that actually comes near to the top of the hole so it can be retrieved with long nose pliers after it invariably disconnects from the lance and not the plug when being removed, most COP systems will fit, altho you can end up cutting a few cable ties to get enough primary side wire length.

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
So there is the possibility/probability of the tool impacting/corrupting the test results - I'm looking for a reasonably priced "paddle" style pickup.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So there is the possibility/probability of the tool impacting/corrupting the test results - I'm looking for a reasonably priced "paddle" style pickup.
No, that is why I monitor the Primary and secondary..

Having said that I also have a paddle, which is less reliable.. HT25COP Coil-on-Plug and Signal Probe particularly with the coils employed by Suzuki, (touchy where you pick up on coil)

A recent acquisition, GTC GTC505 Engine Ignition Analyzer, which is OK for quick analysis but does not give the flexibility of a multi channel scope.. Again, this unit seems less accurate when probing the Suzi coils..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts