Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2004 Suzuki Verona to a dealership. When they saw I had different spark plugs than theirs, they told me to use only Suzuki spark plugs. Even if I got my tune-up elsewhere to be sure to buy Suzuki spark plugs. He explained a difference in the number of prongs?? Suzuki has and the spark plugs recommended by an auto supply store for import vehicles.

I want to know if this really makes a difference? I'm sure the Suzuki plugs costs more than the auto supply store. Can anyone validate using Suzuki spark plugs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 05. I bought iridium plugs with only one prong. That was 2years ago. I have had no problems. Just make sure you buy good quality name brand plugs. Some of the Bosch plugs have 2 and 4 prongs. The spark still can only jump from one prong regardless of how many prongs there are. Just a marketing gimmick to charge more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The "multi-prong" plugs are a carryover from G/A and rotary engines - General Aviation uses them because it spreads out the HV erosion, and allows for longer effective service life. Rotary engines use them to reduce plug protrusion and keep the rotor apices from smacking the plugs.

(In some cases, a replacement plug has been devised that simply uses a ground "collar" around the centre electrode, more common in G/A than in automotive applications. I'd like to see those come into the automotive applications more, tho - no need to check/set/correct the gap, and HV erosion is spread around the entire collar.)

ghoulardo (interesting choice of moniker) is entirely correct that there will only be one spark at a time, and it will only jump over one gap. There are some sound engineering reasons for having multiple gaps available, but the necessity of such is often debatable.

(If this is an old post, my apologies. I just found this board, and found this post looking for the ID of the spark plug wells - so I can figure out what I need for an OD on the spark plug socket...)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts