Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A chance for me to obtain one of those ornamental spare tire (Plastic?) discs for my 2002 Tracker came about today. I was looking at a salvage vehicle in a local yard here and saw it. It is silver colored and has the word "Tracker" spelled out on it. Would really like to obtain it in lieu of buying a whole tire cover. Problem is --the disc is held in place by one of those wheel locks such as one on my spare tire. See pic. The yard gave me the vehicle keys but they do not release it. So, I either believe the right key is missing or the lock is frozen on the nut. The yard gave no comfort on getting it off other than saying, if someone wants to buy the spare tire, they will have to sacrifice the cover. I could not rotate the lock cylinder nor budge it in any manner. Any ideas on this??

Thanks...

JR

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts
Probably a battery operated drill motor, various size drill bits, WD-40 and lots of well directed anger, will allow you to destroy the guts and get her off.

Bring an extra battery and Vice-Grips.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
If the lock cylinder won't rotate it is probably frozen to the nut - the design of the lock does not prevent it from rotating if the wrong key is used - I would go with a liberal dose of WD40 applied through the key slot and a large flat bladed screwdriver.

When all is said & done - and I recognize that you described the cover as "ornamental" - my preference is a full cover, to protect the tire from sun damage, even a cheap vinyl cover (~$20 at AutoZone)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas.

I'll probably return there Thursday and attempt to use PB Blaster, hoping it is just frozen. Otherwise, if they agree to supply the 110v power from a generator, maybe I could drill it. The yard staff carry such power on their vehicles, but I doubt they will be willing to comply on such a small time item.

JR

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acquired this spare tire disk today. Turns out the key was correct, only the cylinder was frozen and stiff. The part I did not know...is the disk goes with the wheel it is mounted to. You can not use the disk with another wheel because the studs mounted on the vehicle bracket will not reach through to secure the disk with the lock. So, I bought the wheel and spare with it. The tire is brand new. Bad luck for the owner who released this Tracker to the yard. I was told the Tracker had a bad exhaust manifold. The yard told me once they bring a vehicle into the yard, they will not sell it whole. So pictured. There were a couple of Suzuki Vitaras there as well.

JR

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd grab those roof rack cross rails while I was there if you don't already have them. They are very handy to have. I think they require a key though. That could be a problem if the yard doesn't have it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip... I am kind of new to the Tracker/Suzuki scene and roof racks. I do, time to time, carry stuff on the roof--last time drywall, so these look to be a real good idea. I am off tomorrow, so I will be heading back there!! Thanks! Another pic...

John R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts