Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Yeap I am a female and I have a 1992 Geo Tracker manual..the gear shift started going out of control and I cannot even hit 1st now it seems like it has slipped out of something...can any of you guys help me...Could it be the bushings and bolts? tks:eek:

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,274 Posts
Check the nylon bushing in the shift tower. They age, crack and disintegrate..

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
The gear shift actually locks into place, and possibly yours is no longer locked. To unlock the gear shifter, you press down on it, turn it counterclockwise and lift up - the shifter should come out. Once it's out, do the reverse and see if it will then lock into place. If not, then, as Aqua says, there are two plastic bushings in the shifter circuit that may have broken and need to be replaced. Some info and diagrams of it on the forum somewhere, if you search.

·
Super Moderator
20,011 Posts
OP. Does the shifter work somewhat "normally" with the engine off and you attempt to run through the gears?

IF so, I'd suspect a clutch issue (lack of full disengagement) due to a probable clutch CABLE problem. ;)

On a side note: have you checked the trans gear oil level and when was it last changed? :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.