Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... Just registered on the forum. (From Scotland)
I'm on a few other forums under the same name, but no other car related forums... So hello to you all, and i'm looking forward to learning something from the forum. Unfortunately I won't be able to give much in terms of technical ability or advice, but that may come :D

I've been looking at a couple of these motors - Both '03 plates, lowish mileage.

Problem is, both have had the engine check light on whilst engine running. First one I looked at was private sale. Walked away from that one as i'd have little or no comeback.
Second one is from a dealer, so at least I have rights if owt happens. He's assured me it's going to have a full MOT, and the fault/s will be fixed 100% (Heard that one before, but fair enough)

Any ideas? I know dirty or faulty sensors can cause this light to come on, but also could be something much more serious I suppose.

I'd really welcome any opinions, especially from mechanics who work on these vehicles.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
192 Posts
How many miles are on them?
On the older Sammies over here (US) the lights turn on at 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles, etc.
My guess is it could be the same...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are on them?
On the older Sammies over here (US) the lights turn on at 30,000 miles, 60,000 miles, etc.
My guess is it could be the same...
Really? Why's that? So a service can be performed?

One was 35k approx, the other one 50K+.

No idea if these mileages were correct as I haven't seen any documents confirming mileage yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yep. So you would take it to the dealer for a check and they reach under the dash, flip a switch and charge you...
My guess is 25K and 50K???
Check the forum for a link to download the tech book and it should give more details.
There are also newer threads on this subject that gives more details.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Here in the states we call it the $300 oil change...
If you do your own maintenance then it pays to know where to reach under the dash to flip the switch. But if you reach under and flip the switch and the light comes back on, then you reach for the service manual. Usually a sensor, most often the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in the states we call it the $300 oil change...
If you do your own maintenance then it pays to know where to reach under the dash to flip the switch. But if you reach under and flip the switch and the light comes back on, then you reach for the service manual. Usually a sensor, most often the O2 sensor.
:D

Is it literally a flick of a switch, or do you have to plug into the OBD?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, I get it... It's a Jimny, though, so i'll have to have a look to see if it's still on it.

Makes sense if the mileage is 35k miles that this might have happened.

Worthwhile investing in an OBD2 reader? I'm guessing most of you guys use them quite often if you have Jimnys?

Thanks for your patience and the info... Starting to feel a bit better about any potential purchase!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There is no mileage nag switch on a Jimny, thats a US thing. You should check behind the glovebox, some Jimnys have a diagnostic connector under there that allows you to pull the codes using a wire jumper/paper clip.
An OBD2 scanner is a good investment, I would advise getting an ELM based scanner, those usually work OK, others may not due to problems with the way that OBD2 is implemented.
The usual problem with a Jimny is the Crankshaft or Camshaft Position Sensors failing when hot. They aren't that expensive to replace so you could use the CEL on as a good bargaining tool.
There were two engine types in 2003, the SOHC G13BB which is based on the old SJ413 engine and the newer DOHC M13A engine which is more powerful and a little more efficient.
There is a very good forum here:

http://www.jimny.se

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the additional info.

I've been reading up on the various sensors that can go. According to one source, some sensors incorporate a 2 driving-cycle something or other. Think I need to give the Jimny a really good test drive, stop and let it cool, and get it warm again.

Any more tips to look out for are most welcome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I test-drove the wee car today. I had a checklist of the most common problems to look out for, and was very pleased with how the motor performed. Low box worked well, and no nasty surprises.
Extremely clean looking engine bay, with a clock reading of 38,000 miles, and the boot area was very clean with no rust at all.

Was MOT'd today, and it was the Lambda (O2) sensor that was at fault. As mentioned by someone, these sensors can be picked up relatively cheaply.

Next investment after buying the Jimny will be the OBD2 scan tool... Seems handy to be able to self-diagnose the problems.

Thanks for the comments, guys... Move over Barbie, Ken's gonna nick your motor!
:p

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'd advise an Elm based scan tool, there are a lot of compatibility problems with hand held scanners.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That should do the trick. In theory any OBD2 scanner should work but in practise there have been lots of problems.
My ex-girlfriend has a Jimny, I miss that car ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my experience with those scanners is that they work great. The software is open source so there are a lot of applications writen for them on the web for diagnostic as well as digital gauges etc. On the other hand, don't update the scan tool software. It's proprietary and updating to the current version will lock out your tool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention that on the test drive, the heater grilles were putting out heat, but weren't blowing too much, even on fully open.
Also, the stereo and clock weren't working.
Is this probably a fuse gone? Slightly concerned that the airflow from vents was so poor.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
a lot of crap can build up on top of the heater core and prevent it from flowing air to the cabin. If the blower is turning but you aren't getting air out the vents, then there's most likely an obstruction. Clock and radio are most likely a fuse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts