Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 zuki it runs good when you baby the gas pedle,BUT when you geet on the gas hard it BOGGS OUT like it dids more gas. I chect the fuel pump its fine.????????????????????????? HELP!

:crying:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Iv got the same problem and im thinkin of solving with a tune, and a survace, if that dosnt do it maby a sports exhause and extractors

·
Registered
22 Posts
mine is doing same thing-13 mpg and no power. I changed the fuel filter, checked timing and now putting on a weber to get rid of all the sensors and computer troubles. I don't care what temp the air is coming into the engine or what it is going out. Any one of the sensors or computer could malfunction and your engine runs crazy. If not now, then sometime in future it will malfunction. And some of the sensors and computer cost couple of hundred dollars. As I said, I could care less what the temp of air is--spark, air and gas is all needed to keep an engine running and less trouble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm Bogging down

That could also be not enough air or a leak in a carbarater gasket. I'll ask one of my guys about it and get his opinion. He built many many hot rods in the days of normal carbaration.

RWD

·
Registered
22 Posts
The new weber carb came in yesterday. Put it on it couple of hours and removed air box, all vacuum lines(except vacuum advance) and removed all sensors. I instantly went from no power as in barely 50mph in a 3 mile stretch to 75mph in about a 3/4 to 1 mile stretch. Course I won't be going that fast as a normal deal-just wanted to test it out. Now will see on this tank if the 13mpg will go up and I strongly suspect it will....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found this out

Glad you got the new carb. How much was it? Sounds like it beefed up the power. I'll be interested in how much your mileage goes up.

I talked to Bob today. He said that with the problems noted, he felt that the carbarater needed a rebuild. He specifically mentioned that the float and or the needle valves needed replacing. He thinks rather than starving for gas it's getting too much.

I'll be doing that to mine in the near future but I want to change out the plugs wires and distributor cap first.

TTFN

RWD

·
Registered
22 Posts
The carb-adapter plate, all the linkage, new gas line, new vacuum advance line, air filter and the air filter housing was $299. I think your friend was right, it was running much too rich. I can't believe the power and get up and go that it has now. Mine also had new distrib, new sparkplug wires but I changed the plugs out since changing carbs and put in Bosch Platinum fours. If it run any faster, it would peal off what hair I have left. As it was, when I hit 75, my eyes squinted and my legs trembled. My front torsion bar was broke at the time--just got it welded back today lol....... Being 60yrs old, who said old age has wisdom? It won't go there again but was nice to see it get there since I bought it only would do 50mph if you babied it with care and had a long time to get there.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coldblood, Do you still have the old Carb? I don't want to take mine out of service while I rebuild one to put on it.

RWD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guess my last post did not send, Kudo's for sending it to someone who helped you out. I just thought it would be nice to rebuild it on a cold day and install it on a normal day and still drive the little puppy.

Thanks, RWD

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I had known would have sent it to you. I had no need for it anymore so sent all the stuff I took off mine to him. Airbox-some sensors and old carb. First tank of gas on the new weber was 20mpg, up from 13mpg. I retuned more closely and hope a little more but if not-happy as a lark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in town

Was gone for a few months in Sudan. Got back a few days ago and am now back to playing with the suki. I did a tune up just before I left (dist cap, Rotor, spark plugs and plug wires) and replaced the throttle cable as it broke a few days before I left.

Got back and it was idling ove 2000 rpm. I adjusted the throttle screw to bring it down to around 1000 rpm. Book says 800 rpm is correct but I need a better tach to make it correct. I've also been looking at rebuilding the carbarater in the next week or two. Major not minor rebuild. Looks to be a little varnished. Figure to go that way before I spend on a new one. Hows your mileage now?

I'm going to check the lash in the valves and replace the valve guide caps (seals) while I'm at it. I'm cinsuming oil and hope it's due to valve guides rather than rings. I'm not into doing a major overhaul on this little puppy. I'll set the timing too.

RWD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome back RWD. I get around 28mpg just normal driving on highway. But if the ac is running then it drops to around 24mpg. And I am putting a new motor in it because mine is using oil and smoking some. I hope the new motor does as well-going from a 1.3L to a 1.6L with 8 valves... I'll have me a spare motor too if needed later...

·
Registered
11 Posts
AC you've got AC?

Hmmmm. I'd like AC. How much is the new engine going to go for? I saw a long block online for around 900.00.

Take care, Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts