Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many owners will know that the shock absorbers on the Ignis were upgraded in early 2018 to overcome the issue of the suspension bottoming out over bumps particularly when laden. The upgrade was available under warranty for earlier cars on complaint to the dealer.
I recently bought a repairable Ignis registered in June 2017 and decided to upgrade the suspension at the same time as the repair. I toyed with the idea of registering my complaint with Suzuki before expiry of the warranty in order to get the work done when dealers reopened but for many reasons, I decided to go it alone and do the work now using components from a later Ignis. Essentially, as someone else on this forum has done - I purchased the two front struts and two rear shock absorbers from 2019 scrapped vehicles. (around £200 total vs £80 each just for the rear shock absorbers from Suzuki!)

On searching for upgraded shock absorbers - it became apparent that there was a wide window as to when the suspension of vehicles was upgraded in manufacture. I've seen cars registered as late as August 2018 with the original suspension setup. Obviously this could be related to date of manufacture rather than date of first registration.

The original and upgraded front shock absorbers + bump-stops appear identical. The part numbers stamped on the body are different:
Original: Left front 41602-62R30, Right front 41601-62R30
Uprated: Left front 41602-62R60, Right front 41601-62R60

The original and upgraded rear shock absorbers and bump-stops are visually very different - the upgraded units are 50% greater in diameter and are stamped on the body 41810-62R60

It's interesting to note that all the above part numbers are unique to the Ignis - these parts are not listed for any other Suzuki cars. The numbers don't cross reference in shock absorber catalogues. Even though they're all stamped KYB - the latest KYB catalogue doesn't list the fitment.

The vast majority of Ignis cars with original suspension will be, or will shortly be, out of warranty and the above information may be useful to anyone undertaking the upgrade on their own account.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many owners will know that the shock absorbers on the Ignis were upgraded in early 2018 to overcome the issue of the suspension bottoming out over bumps particularly when laden. The upgrade was available under warranty for earlier cars on complaint to the dealer.
I recently bought a repairable Ignis registered in June 2017 and decided to upgrade the suspension at the same time as the repair. I toyed with the idea of registering my complaint with Suzuki before expiry of the warranty in order to get the work done when dealers reopened but for many reasons, I decided to go it alone and do the work now using components from a later Ignis. Essentially, as someone else on this forum has done - I purchased the two front struts and two rear shock absorbers from 2019 scrapped vehicles. (around £200 total vs £80 each just for the rear shock absorbers from Suzuki!)

On searching for upgraded shock absorbers - it became apparent that there was a wide window as to when the suspension of vehicles was upgraded in manufacture. I've seen cars registered as late as August 2018 with the original suspension setup. Obviously this could be related to date of manufacture rather than date of first registration.

The original and upgraded front shock absorbers + bump-stops appear identical. The part numbers stamped on the body are different:
Original: Left front 41602-62R30, Right front 41601-62R30
Uprated: Left front 41602-62R60, Right front 41601-62R60

The original and upgraded rear shock absorbers and bump-stops are visually very different - the upgraded units are 50% greater in diameter and are stamped on the body 41810-62R60

It's interesting to note that all the above part numbers are unique to the Ignis - these parts are not listed for any other Suzuki cars. The numbers don't cross reference in shock absorber catalogues. Even though they're all stamped KYB - the latest KYB catalogue doesn't list the fitment.

The vast majority of Ignis cars with original suspension will be, or will shortly be, out of warranty and the above information may be useful to anyone undertaking the upgrade on their own account.

Great post, however I couldn’t see the part numbers you mentioned. Not being very technical I didn’t want to take things apart.

Are you able to tell from the pic if it’s the updated rear shocks?

Mines an Allgrip 2019 so should have the new suspension fitted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the fatter shock absorber - so it is the upgraded suspension. You can also make out the last bit of the part number on the blue band. I guess that you'd be pretty safe in the assumption that cars registered from late 2018 onwards would have the upgraded suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the fatter shock absorber - so it is the upgraded suspension. You can also make out the last bit of the part number on the blue band. I guess that you'd be pretty safe in the assumption that cars registered from late 2018 onwards would have the upgraded suspension.

Thanks for your help.

I didn’t notice the number there, well spotted. They could have made it clearer..

I’m glad I have the upgraded suspension although it’s still not perfect, four adults in the car and creep over a speed bump and it still almost bottoms out at the back.

Was considering doing my own mods with some coilovers maybe. This is proving difficult though as nobody seems to make many aftermarket upgrades for the Ignis at the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts