Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I'm currently running my SJ410 with 235/75 tyres, with a simple 2" shackle replacement. The rest is all stock. This car is a beauty from 1986 with the 997 cc engine in really good shape, so I've decided to start some more money in it :) So I'm soon going to install the Calmini 5" lift suspension kit incl. shackle reverse instead, to get more clearance.

I would like to aim at 31" tyres at the end. Now some questions:

1. With 5" lift and 31" tyres, will I need to install spacers to get the wheels further out or does this setup work well as is?
2. Can I keep the rims that my 235/75 are on now, to put the 31" tyres on or don't they fit on such rims?
3. Will I need any additional adjustments to get a smooth mild-offroad ride? Any recommendations?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 1987 samurai. i just did a SPOA lift and bought 31" tires. i put them on my stock rims and they rum when i turn. so i just bought wider rims with a better offset to fit them in. dependind on how wide the tires your buying are you should still buy wider rims. if your going with a lift over 3 inches you should find a steerins solution. like a Z-link or all new steering arms. i forget when the sites are but i'll try to find them and post them for you

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you're just wheeling on trails and not doing hard off road, then you probably don't need the high steer. The drop pitman that the calmini kit comes with is just fine for mild off road use. The stock tires can handle a 9.5 wide tire, but most 31's come in 10.50 or larger. You can stuff the 10.5 on a stock rim and flip it backwards to give you the spacing you need, but it would be a much safer ride on and off road with a wider rim. 7" would be fine for a 10.5 and you could get a 2.5 inch backspaced rim and you would have clearance to spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks for your quick advice, appreciate it! I will start looking for wider rims as well then, bur first I'll wait for the Calmini kit to arrive and succeed in installing that :) Some time later this summer I'll hopefully can go on with the tyre purchase and I'll be taking your advice in account!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
An SJ410 will have less tyre clearance to the bulkhead than a Samurai because it has a narrower axle. The stock rim is a 5.5" and is really too narrow for a 235 tyre so you may already have wider rims fitted. Decide on the tyre you want and then check the manufacturers recommendation for rim width. In some areas it is illegal to use a tyre/rim combination on the road if it is not a recommended size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts