Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally bitten the bullet and decided to put an after market ignition system on my samurai. I was not looking for something to give me a more powerful spark but something that would let me re-curve the timing to better suite running on propane. After some research I decided to go with the programmable high energy ignition system from Jaycar Electronics in Australia as it will require little modification to my rig and I won't need to find or manufacture as many parts. The down side is that the term some assembly required has taken on a whole new meaning.

I am not going to go through the details of assembling the kit the instructions that come with it have all the details you will ever need but I will try to document how I get this kit to work on the samurai so if some one is foolish enough to follow in my footsteps there will be some info on how it might be done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An adjustable timing gear will get the same result as setting your distributor timing but it also changes the timing of your valves. Propane requires a faster curve, more advance in the same RPM range, than gasoline.

Example: As far as I can determine from the initial 10deg. it rises to 20deg. at 2000 rpm at witch point the centrifugal advance is done only the vac advance can get it higher. On propane I can start with the same 10deg. but might need to go to 25deg. at 2000 rpm.

That being said if I could find an adjustable timing gear for a suzuki samurai I would already have one but I haven't seen one for sell in years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those are the ones he was referring to when he mentioned they haven't been made for a few years. Note, at the bottom says temporarily out of production. When I get home on my laptop I will send a link to a site I am ordering one for my 1.6 and I believe they also have for the 1.3. Just can't find from my phone. I have it saved on my laptop. Hang in there bebe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts