Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hard top that needs the seals replacing as well as the sunroof and was thinking about getting a soft top instead. Which is better, hardtop or soft top? Does a soft top leak in any water and does it fold down or do you have to take it completely off?:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks!! Trying to work out the cost vs benefit!! New seal and sunroof for about $350 or new soft top with hardwear about the same!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you fit your soft top on properly, it should not leak at all. The only place I ever found a leak was around "stitch holes"...however...a wee dab of black silicone on eack pin hole seals it up. I have lived through Victoria BC monsoon seasons and Western Canadian winters of 40 below with my soft top and not a problem. Just don't try to remove a 40 below top....:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe a piece of shit, ebay soft top might have weather issues. I just sold my 94 JL with a "BestTop", and that thing is weather proof, I went through a high pressure car wash before the sale, and not a drop came in. :cool:

You can roll the back window up, with a soft top.

·
Registered
201 Posts
of course soft tops leak, but if you get a good quality one you wont even notice it. mine is so old u cant even see through the plastic on the back, and the only leak it has is on the top front corner of the doors! so yes, they leak, but very minimal if in good condition

although ive never heard of people taking it through car washes, thats a first eptali :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had a bestop on mine for 10 years and no leaks at all. Tore a big hole in it with my surfboard fin and had to replace it. I put on the cheapest top I could find and it still doesn't leak. I drive mine through the car wash about once a month and no leaks. Keep in mind that if you sell the hardtop, even a fixer upper will net you about $400-$500 and boom you paid for a brand new high quality soft top plus some extra coin for some new seat covers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Soft top hardware, bow and guides etc, could cost you $300 or more. That's what I sold the only ones I agreed to let go for. The Suzuki Salvage guy has those parts sometimes.

Doc

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you can get the replacement parts NEW from suzuki john for about $170. That includes bow, hardware and front garnish for the windshield. You can get the parts used for about $20 from a wrecking yard or off of ebay. You really took someone to the cleaners for $300 for all those parts. Rugged ridge sells their tops with 30mil plastic now instead of the previous 15mil. They are still the best buy for $150-$170.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went by what the buyer was telling me. He said the best he could find a used bow for was $200. He found me cause the Suzuki dealer parts dude knew I had a few and bought all the Sami parts they had. One reason I have six Samis was worrying about parts availability. Plus I usually find them for about $300. Have since realized lots fo those little trucks survived and there are more parts available than I thought. Samis are popular and common in western NC piedmont. Several in my little town that are driven a lot. I told my "How did you get into Zuks" story in that thread

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
suzuki john will be able to find or supply you with just about any stock equipment you need for your samurai. If you search hard enough you might find prices on some stuff on auction for less. But I've found that his prices are usually pretty good and he's very knowledgeable if you need to pick his brain about something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, he seems like a good source for stock parts. Cheaper than the salvage guys on some things. Amazing how many aftermarket parts are available for Samis too. I ain't building rock crawlers. Local drivers that are fun to drive to the mountains. I do go to Zuwharrie. Wow! What some dudes build Samis into.

But back to rag tops. I only use the full top from November to March. Rest of the year its a strapless Bikini Top and no doors. The kids just laugh about gettin caught in Summer rain.

I suggest Best Top for both. Yeah, they fit tight. Keep an eye on the right rear corner and Gorilla Glue it as soon as the seem starts to split.

If a slightly leaky rag top bothers you get a sedan. Some do some don't. Most I've had did a little once in a while.

Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts