Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I've been trying to track down replacement soft top trim for my 95 Tracker. (17-18 in the diagram)
The black plastic that holds in the side rear windows. The threads I've seen are at least a couple of years old and everything seems to be out of production.

I did see where someone in Mexico had made fiberglass repros. Are they still?

They seem to be broken on every Tracker I've seen. Seems like there would be an aftermarket demand for these.

http://suzukicarparts.com/parts/1995/Suzuki/Sidekick/JS?siteid=214820&vehicleid=187789&diagram=1410205

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kelly

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
If it makes any difference, any 1995-1998 Sidekick or Tracker will be compatible for these parts. The basic solution is a junkyard or someone parting out a car (or perhaps a 3D printer). I don't have any info on getting them out of Mexico, etc....Did you look on the classified section on the left of the page to see if anyone is parting their car out?? As Suzuki is pulling out of the US market, there will be more and more difficulty in getting parts in the US, sadly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about the 3D printer idea. Once the file was made, they could be produced as needed. A good way to offset the costs of mine. :)
As for used, I haven't seen any that are usable. If I did find a used one, I doubt is would last very long.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
These cars are still supported in Europe - it seems likely that in the future, as Suzuki pulls out of the US, more and more of these specific parts will have to be purchased and shipped from overseas. Of course, the cost of posting may be a deterrent. There are a couple of really good used parts places in the UK, that deal specifically with Suzukis that have been pulled off the road, where I have been able to get all sorts of parts, really cheap. I don't know if there is anything similar in the US, though.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lot's of good used parts available to keep them going for a long time. Unfortunately, the plastic bits are just crumbling away on most of the salvage vehicles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've said it before: convert to a 89-94 top (GEN1). Used parts are readily available and the aftermarket tops are cheaper. The only parts that break are the clips and Suzuki still sells them for $6 new. I see people buying used GEN2 parts for $500 a set on fleabay, and they're cracked, broken and brittle, when they could bought an entire GEN1 system complete to include a new soft top for half that.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I could produce the needed parts on my 3D printers, I just have not got around to looking into it/drawing it up (too many projects). I have the ability to print in about 5 different plastics at the moment (hoping to expand that number soon).

Shoot me a PM if you are interested in talking. We can probably work out an arrangement so you get a set at no cost. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't see a Gen 1 top before so I'm not sure what's involved in the conversion. Besides, my top is only a few month old. But, something to look in to.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If I had a gen 2 with a soft top, I'd probably convert it to the old top style. I think it's a better design, personally. I don't know why they changed over (if it ain't broke...)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I heard the Gen 1 tops the side windows don't come out? That's why I wouldn't convert back. My plastic was trashed when i bought it, the P.O. had the top attached with self tapping screws :mellow: so I bought some 1 1/4x 1 1/4x 1/8" angle iron and made my own

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I'm still debating on what to do about my '97 Gen 2 Top. The options that I am thinking about are: 1. Going to a Gen 1 top. Has anyone made a parts list or write up in it? 2. Doing what Gigafex has done. As well as 3D print the retainer brackets (just need measurements on a complete bracket). 3. Make a hybrid out of the Gen 2 top and add snap buttons to the top.
What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415298437.585903.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415298449.828284.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415298462.153468.jpg

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Hi. I'm still debating on what to do about my '97 Gen 2 Top. The options that I am thinking about are: 1. Going to a Gen 1 top. Has anyone made a parts list or write up in it? 2. Doing what Gigafex has done. As well as 3D print the retainer brackets (just need measurements on a complete bracket). 3. Make a hybrid out of the Gen 2 top and add snap buttons to the top.
What do you guys think?

View attachment 40169 View attachment 40177 View attachment 40185
If retrofitting:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/48260-older-soft-top-hardware-newer-tracker.html

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is that piece you drew up the only one you need? it's fairly small and could probably be easily printed with a few slight modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That piece and the opposite side. The top half of it was broken off by the P.O. Once I figure out the dimensions I am going to 3D print it and test it out. I got this out of a different post. Going try this shape. This one is metal. The one I have is plastic. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1415314209.543164.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah I've been missing the "latch clip" out of mine since i bought it but the tail gate holds the bar in so meh not to worried

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
The options that I am thinking about are: 1. Going to a Gen 1 top.
Generation 1 has different hardware (front bow attaches with sliding clips and not snaps, side windows, attachment at tailgate, etc.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my 3D printed test part.
As it printed
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535447.038195.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535460.877139.jpg

Cleaned up
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535365.768858.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535387.543849.jpg

Sprayed with rubber undercoat
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535476.821759.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535487.324058.jpg

Trimmed and installed.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535526.534159.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1420535538.717042.jpg

I guess some of the dimensions and was wrong in a few spots. I'm going to update the design and give it another go.
Will keep posting here for now.
Planning on making a metal version and some with mixed materials.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Very nice!

If you're in a hot area, know that that part will quickly deform if it's PLA on a hot sunny day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why Switch from a gen1 top to a gen2...

Well, I just finished converting our Canadian 1992 Pontiac Asuna two door over to the gen 2 style top.

Why? I have a back problem that meant I needed two canes and a walker to get around. I could not lift anything, even a plate full of food hurt. That left it to my wife to wrestle my walker in and out of the back through the passenger door (the rear window zipper was frozen solid), and it was hard for her to do that, being that both of us are over 70.

The gen 2 top allows her to open the tailgate and slide my walker into the back without unzipping the rear window. There's even room for a wheel chair (the rear seats are removed), if it comes to that.

And yes, it was a picky, finicky job to lay out all the clips/fasteners that I stripped off a wrecked '96, but everything lined up and nothing leaks.

·
Super Moderator
23,835 Posts
The generation 1 top has the fiberglass rod that snaps into the brackets on the tailgate. Could you not have just unsnapped that rod, and then opened the tailgate without unzipping the window???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts