Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2003 suzuki xl7 last April. I love it! The engine seized without warning in June I found a great shop and great deal and replaced the motor. When I got it back and after I returned for the 500 mile "check up" the check engine light was still on. They told me the knock sensor needed to be replaced. The suzuki dealership won't touch it for under $500 and now my emissions are up and I have to get the check engine light off. Am I doomed to use the dealership, because I can't even find a manual on my car? Help please

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
I see that you have three posts and zero replies as to knock sensor location questions. Do you even HAVE a knock sensor on your engine? :huh:

What engine first off?

What actual CODES are you getting to cause the CEL to illuminate?

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Ok. :)

Let's go here to see (in part)
the knock sensor IS on the back of engine (driver side on LHD vehicles) under the cam position sensor. it is a giant PITA to change. i had to cut a wrench in half (7/8 i think??) and use a pry bar to break loose the sensor..
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-2001-2006-xl-7/38778-knock-sensor-location.html

Here is a pic of the back of an H25 (2.5 liter) V-6 which is the same block as a 2.7 WITH MAYBE THE EXCEPTION of a knock sensor.

The Cam Sensor discussed above is the round black (hockey puck looking) object at the 10 o'clock position. I can't pick out any knock sensor in the pic, nor do I see one referenced in the Grand Vitara manual of the same era. Point is...I don't THINK I have one, so as to further help out here.

Best I can do. :huh:

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Heck yeah!

Factory Part:
2003 - Suzuki - XL-7 - Limited
ELECTRICAL / POWERTRAIN CONTROL / KNOCK SENSOR
knock SENSOR XL-7

Online Price $153.23

2003 Suzuki XL-7 Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

Aftermarket parts...
2003 SUZUKI XL-7 Knock (Detonation) Sensor

At least we know what it LOOKS like.

There is one in the parts listing of my '99 GV, but I'll be damned if I can find its engine location. Maybe a regional (point of manufacturing) by model engine market difference not on mine? Don't know. I even looked on my removed (spare) engine, but maybe it is elsewhere and it's just me.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Some thoughts (out loud!)

They're normally bolted straight into the side of the block, in a central position in relation to the cylinders. With a V6, perhaps there might be two knock sensors (one for each bank of 3 cylinders; mounted somewhere like tucked under each exhaust manifold?)

If there's only one, it could be located somewhere like in the valley of the V6 block. (ie. underneath the centrally located inlet manifold.)

Actually, here's your answer:

auszookers.com ? View topic - H25A single wire sensor between cyl's - It's a knock sensor!

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
Thanks Murcod

Well, there it is! Pic below taken from the Aus site, for those non-members who can not view the earlier link.

Top, rear, center of the engine block (obscured actually from above) and nestled tightly under the coolant crossover pipe.

But I haven't one on the 2000 2.5 GV engine in my possession. It must be an item peculiar to where the engine was built for specific market requirements. Possibly standard on the OP's (Tonka) later 2.7 XL-7.

Lumpylarry (referenced in post #4) is a Canadian based member (and an actual damn fine Zuk mechanic and frequent contributor here BTW) has obviously dealt with these.

And yeah, a real PITA to get to. :( Something so simple in design that I'd consider a faulty wire or connection first off. Particularly if anyone has been in that area working on O2 sensors or intake manifold, for instance.

I'm a bit at odds with the Auszookers suggesting to leave the sensor disconnected in their discussion though. Maybe their ECU's don't trigger CEL's or hamper performance, is my guess.

Cool! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm a bit at odds with the Auszookers suggesting to leave the sensor disconnected in their discussion though. Maybe their ECU's don't trigger CEL's or hamper performance, is my guess.
The OP was fitting the engine into an SV620 which is the earlier 2.0 V6 engined Vitara, similar to the Sidekick Sport. The SV620 ECU hs no provision for a knock sensor.

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
The OP in the Auszookers site. Ok. I'm w/ya'. ;)

I'm just about to plumb the H25A (circa 2002 I believe) into my SV620's computer (Apr. 1995). I have a sensor at the back of the H25A block that (apparently) isn't on the H20A.

The SV620 ECU hs no provision for a knock sensor.
And apparently some H25A's (like mine) as well! :)

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
I think I broke the code.

Post #1...
found a great shop and great deal and replaced the motor.
They broke the sensor connection off. :rolleyes:
Or the donor engine knock sensor was damaged and went undiscovered until you returned with the vehicle.

The fix should be on THEIR dime, IMO.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I think I broke the code.

Post #1...

They broke the sensor connection off. :rolleyes:
Or the donor engine knock sensor was damaged and went undiscovered until you returned with the vehicle.

The fix should be on THEIR dime, IMO.
Good points.

Another option is they've installed an older revision of the motor that doesn't have the knock sensor installed on it. If that is the case, it may not even have the required hole for fitting for one! :eek:

A dodgy work around would be to plug in a knock sensor onto the loom plug and secure it somewhere. Not the best advice, but it should clear your code and get you on the road.

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
plug in a knock sensor onto the loom plug and secure it somewhere
I was thinking that too. But the sensor to engine attachment portion would still require a ground path in addition to the harness connection. No biggie to fashion up though. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
wow! that must be such a hard thing to do without a lift. my car is reading a knock sensor. i think i need to bring it to a mechanic with a lift. so simple to remove if there is room under the car. poor design.Thanks for the pictures. It drove me crazy looking for it.

·
Super Moderator
18,421 Posts
A lift providing access from below won't help. The sensor sits above the bellhousing, and below the coolant crossover plumbing. :(

Access will need to be from above and in all likelihood require significant topside interfereance removal. I just went through the this to access the top bellhousing bolts in order to conduct and engine change.

There is a slight chance that the sensor can be pulled without topside interference removal, but it would take somewhat of a miracle to accomplish, given the location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts