Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every once in a while someone will ask about snorkels for second gens, the problem has been that none of the big names does a snorkel for the second gen, and what is available has to come from ebay, china, or some other vehicle adapted to fit. This has been a personal frustration as I have wanted a snorkel for quite some time - I bought one off a forum member here, an ebay unit which turned out to be "not the correct part" - so it's clear, this is not a reflection on the forum member, he bought it as being advertised as fitting, couldn't figure out the template, and sold it on, I bought it, it said Vitara on the side and was a right side mount (first gen Vitaras take a left side mount snorkel) and then discovered that it was a chinese knock-off of a first gen snorkel that had been "flipped" (or mirror imaged) in the mould process - this particular unit is widely advertised on ebay - having recognised it was not what I wanted, I gave it to my nephew who drives an SV series, which is a first gen bodyshell with a V6 engine and the airbox on the right side - he's had it for a couple of years but has not installed it.

I continued my search for a snorkel, but, having been burned once, I refined my search criteria - any advertisements had to include a picture of it fitted, and lack of a template was an immediate deal breaker - I did see quite a few ebay auctions that claimed to fit, some would not ship outside of the UK, some openly stated that the same snorkel would fit a hilux, and the snorkel might be marked hilux, many of these either had no template, or the image of the template revealed that it was the snorkel I had purchased previously.

Eventually I found what I was looking for, an ebay auction that checked all the right boxes - a snorkel advertised as fitted a Grand Vitara, 98~05 - check; pictures of fitted snorkel - check; picture of template - check; worldwide shipping - check.

Here's a link to the snorkel auction, you may notice it specifies a 1.6 liter engine, it doesn't matter as all of the SQ series use the same air intake regardless of engine size, and so does the JA series XL-7, so this will fit them all.

The auction shows you what's in the box, so, even though I do have a picture I won't include it - let's move on to the installation. I read through a lot of different forum threads for different snorkel installations, I found only one for an SQ series installation, done by someone in Australia - they were installing a very similar snorkel from a chinese company called Giz, here's a link to that write up, advice I came across included using a "mains" powered drill rather than a cordless drill (I would certainly recommend this, I don't think my Milwaukee had the power to do what was needed), use of a step drill rather than a twist drill on the smaller holes, lots of masking tape to protect the paint work, an automatic center punch rather than the old fashioned punch & hammer, that all cut/drilled edges be deburred & painted to prevent rust (I used CRC cold galvanized), thread-locker on the studs where they screw into the snorkel body, and I chose to use "riv nuts" rather than the supplied pop rivets to secure the snorkel to the A pillar.

Picture time...

20191123_124743.jpg

Here's the car with the wing taped ...

20191123_125035.jpg

and with the template attached...

20191123_132709.jpg

Sorry - no pictures of me drilling holes - I only have two hands, and needed both to hold the drill...

20191123_141920.jpg

Pay close attention to the shape of the holes - the bolt hole above the snorkel hole has been "ovaled out" in a downward direction, and the one in front (right side in the picture) has been ovaled towards the snorkel hole - this is necessary because the studs that secure the snorkel are perpendicular to the face of the snorkel which is curved - they are larger than the studs but this is not a problem because three large washer are supplied to sit beneath the nuts that secure the snorkel to the wing.

To correctly position the L shaped bracket that holds the snorkel to the A pillar, I used double sided tape - mount the bracket with the tape to the snorkel, fit the lower end of the snorkel to the wing, press the double sided tape to the A pillar and then remove the screws securing it to the snorkel, and remove the snorkel leaving the bracket stuck to the A pillar - center punch the holes, drill them, fit the riv nuts and then reattach the bracket without the double sided tape, securing it with stainless steel screws.

A word of caution here - the A pillar appears to be "double skinned" which I did not expect, and I almost got myself into trouble because the riv nut setting tool could not hold the riv nuts tight against the A pillar to properly set them - I had to improvise and find a spacer, but in the end it all worked out.

20191123_172447.jpg

And last but not least - the completed installation - yes - I know part of the front bumper trim is missing, it became "dislodged" during the wrestling with the plastic inner fender well, the bolts that secure it are corroded and will have to be replaced, that's a job for tomorrow.

Total time - maybe three hours or so - consider it a relaxing Saturday afternoon, I could probably have done it in less time if I needed to.

·
Super Moderator
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing on...

20191118_142728.jpg

This is what the lower section of the airbox looks like - in the top right corner, barely visible is a drain hole, that I will have to find a way to deal with - some sort of automatic, self closing drain valve that will allow water to flow out but not in - I'll have to take a look at the check valves available in the plumbing aisle.

20191118_142742.jpg

Here's a close-up of the drain hole.

20191123_154906.jpg

The vehicle I'm working on is an E06 Africa market Grand Vitara with a 2.0 liter, J20a engine - this was what came out of the fenderwell - it was used with the 1.6 & 2.0 I4 engines, the 2.5 & 2.7 V6s use a different resonator - why this may be important is that the resonator has a rubber mount at the top that snaps into a bracket in the fenderwell - the position of this bracket makes it almost impossible to fit the nut & washer to the snorkel's top mounting stud - I could just about reach the stud with one finger from underneath, if you can get the washer & nut on, and get a wrench in place to tighten it up, you're better than I am - I released the bolts holding the top of the wing in place (three under the hood, one in the door jamb), tilted the wing outwards enough to get my hands in, fitted the washer & nut and then tightened everything up - I also added large rubber sealing washers under the steel washers - to provide some cushioning, and attached the corrugated flex hose to the snorkel whilst I had the top of the wing open.

20191118_143145.jpg

The corrugated flex hose is too small to fit over the intake, but it is the just the right size to fit into it - a smear of RTV sealant and it should be fine. I fitted the flex to the airbox first and then fed into the fenderwell and then attached it to the snorkel - on my first attempt, I threaded it through the hole I had made and fitted it to the snorkel, and then recognized that once I had attached the hose clamp, it would not fit through the opening, so I removed it and refitted it after popping the top of the wing open.

·
Super Moderator
12,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another caution worth mentioning - be sure to get all of the swarf from the metal work when cleaning up - I did not realize that swarf from the A pillar holes had lodged on the paintwork alongside the side mirrors and a few days later I found tiny flecks of rust - the swarf had rusted, etching the clear coat - I was able to clean it up. but, you can save yourself the trouble.

For the airbox drain I have settled on a silicone "duck bill" valve - larger than the existing drain hole, but still small enough to fit into the bottom of the little well in the airbox - they have been ordered and are somewhere in transit.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I see yours does not have the factory fitted rubber plug/ flap arrangement in it that lets water out but not in. A Duckbill drain is a good solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts