Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
when was last tune up?
what parts were replaced?
what was the spark plug gap?
Have you done Bex's fav... a compression check?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Are you one of the Marx brothers? Sorry couldn't resist. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Have you done Bex's fav... a compression check?
Funny!! But yes. I've been hanging around here for a while, and nothing is more frustrating than to go through 20 pages of posts and 'tests' to find out on page 21 that the car is not timed correctly. So, yeah, you need to start with a compression test to confirm that.
When you are saying, smothers under load - can you give a detail of this? For example, if you have the car idling, and you put the headlights and fan heater on high, what does the idle do? And speaking of idle, what is your cold idle, how does it drop when the car is warming up, what is the warm idle, etc. And is the check engine light on with the key on and off once the car starts?
As we can't see the car, the more detail and info you give, the better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last tune up was a year ago new plugs wires and dist.plugs gap .28 havnt done compression test but will tomorrow.the cold idle is 1400 -1500 and drops to 800when warm.when I turn on the lights and blower it doesn't change idle stays 800. example: I was 4x4 ing Saturday going up hill in first gear when I change gears to second it like smothers or floods out.. loses power?i will post compression results when I check it.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
You may also want to confirm if you have ever cleaned the EGR valve and its circuit, which is the number one cause of bogging in these cars. But yes, a compression test should be first, just to confirm timing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like how mine acted when the PO had messed up the ignition timing. But yes it's possible the valve timing is off from a slipped belt or bad crank keyway, which will equally mess up ignition timing. So if compression test says not so good then I'd look into the timing.

You say last tune up was a year ago. Did it just start bogging all of a sudden? Or gradually? Or has it been bogging for a long time and last year's tuneup was an attempt to correct it? How it happened might be an indication of what's going on. Like a plugged EGR isn't going to happen suddenly, but a slipped timing belt can.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
A wee bit low (normally the compression on a 16v on a warm engine with the gas pedal floored while cranking would be about 190psi). Is this how you did the test? Perhaps either a slightly tired engine, or else the timing belt may have jumped a tooth??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.