Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently came across a good deal and bought a 1988 Samurai for $600.
Guy gave me the transfer case and other parts with it just needed to put it together and said it ran before he parked it. So i got it all running but the thing smokes terribly. I changed oil. put marvel mystery oil in it and ran it. I put SAE 30w oil in it and ran it. nothing i tried has made a difference. Other than my crazy uncle poored a can of beer in the intake when i wasnt looking and it stopped smoking for about a week then started smoking again. When i crank it it will start smoking in about 30 secounds and can fill a 40x40 shop up within 15 min. I'm thinking I need too break down and do a piston ring kit. my question is do i need to bore the cylinders and put high compression pistons while im doing this. or can i just pull it all apart and change rings and gaskets and put it back together. or does anyone know how i can get too stop smoking before i start tearing it apart. It also idles real high for about 20 min before it relaxes and warms up then the idle will change and lower on its own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
my question is do i need to bore the cylinders and put high compression pistons while im doing this. or can i just pull it all apart and change rings and gaskets and put it back together.
That depends on whether or not the pistons and/or cylinders are out of spec when you take it apart. If they are, you can hone and replace just the rings, but it won't last nearly as long as it would if done the right way.

or does anyone know how i can get too stop smoking before i start tearing it apart.
I doubt you can at this point. Have a look at the plugs or PCV system and try to find out where the oil is coming from...and stop letting that "crazy uncle" pour beer in your engine. :huh:

It also idles real high for about 20 min before it relaxes and warms up then the idle will change and lower on its own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like possibly the thermostatic idle control on the carb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dirty Dude. Yea i don't let my uncle near it anymore.

I did change plugs and plug wires. no help there. Plugs had a little carbon on them but didnt look bad for as much smoking going on.

I will take the PCV valve off and clean it see if that helps.

And I will check on the thermostatic idle control if i can find it.

Thanks alot.

Do you have any suggestions on High compression pistons? What else needs to be adjusted when i change that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you have any suggestions on High compression pistons? What else needs to be adjusted when i change that?
Usually not much if that's the only change, but it also depends on how the engine responds afterward. Pinging could require a little less ignition timing and/or more fuel octane.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Could do the used car lot trick. Drain the oil let it drip to completely empty. Fill with full synthetic. Change filter to. Synthetic is said not to smoke. It will leak out of wherever it was smoking from before. But it won't smoke. So "they" say. It is not a fix just a cover up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Synthetic oil burns just as well as non synthetic. Just has a diferent flash point.
If you get a Samurai for $600 , and it's dismantaled , there is generaly a good reason for it.
Sounds like a compleate rebuild is in order.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you ever used full synthetic in something that was smoking???
Yes I have. The engine had Valvoline SynPower full synthetic oil when it broke an oil ring and smoked like a steam locomotive, except the smoke was blue as is typical for oil. My Samurai's engine is spent and smokes quite a lot too. If someone wanted to give me four quarts of synthetic, even decent used synthetic, I would post a before-and-after video regardless of the results. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is blue smoke as well like a Locomotive. Sounds like it could be the same problem. a broken oil ring Maybe?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would suspect general wear to be the cause of oil smoke before a broken piston ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts