Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a used gear shift with the transmission top housing. I understand that my 88 model Sami has similar design. The used one that I found is in excellent shape.

Question; Will the newer top housing bolt to the top of my transmission? I want to know before I buy. Is the slot on the ball of the shifter being wider and the bolt being bigger the only difference? Will the holes match up on my transmission? A direct bolt on? The top shifter plate looks identical, but I want advice on this.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I didn't know it but when I bought mine the small bolt had broken off and fallen into the transmission and broken a few teeth off the counter shaft 5th gear. I discovered this when I drained the oil and its mangled carcass fell out.

I just got the big pin bolt for $3 and tapped out the existing housing and used a dremmel to carefully widen the shifter slot which was already badly damaged by a threaded bolt forced into the housing. Not picture perfect but about $80 cheaper and feels pretty damn nice, tight and smooth.

I was told by one of the reputable Samurai parts vendors that the bigger pin stuff is a direct bolt over and if you have the $$ I would recommend doing just that instead of being a cheapass like me :cool:.

Tony

·
Registered
686 Posts
You are welcome.

I have already enjoyed what can happen if it fails by savoring the replacement of hard parts in the transmission. A joy to be sure!

I will never go w/o the bigger bolt setup now.

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts