Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks.

Collected my Swift 1.0i Auto on Oct 17th.
28,800miles '98 5door.

The car is a real sweetie.... I'm only concerned (no service history given over) it might not have had a cambelt (60k) and though the ATF is minty pinkkie >> it also may be 22yr old!

I'm doing all the service items just now.... Did the oil + filter Saturday.

Will do Diz cap, Rotor arm, Plug wires, Air filter & 3 new plugs when I have all to hand (Ebay, saves rushing around....).

Car is in my Icon, top of page.
I have binned the 13" steels and have on her Mitsubishi Colt 5.5Jx14" alloys. Tyres are 175/70-14 Landsail >>> they are visibly larger, in rolling dia, than stock155s but I am enjoying the 'extra seat height/access' benefit.....

OPM

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
Given the age I'd suggest the timing belt be replaced, at the very least ease back the top of the timing cover and take a peep at it's condition - I see you mention three plugs so I'm assuming it's the 1.0 liter three cylinder, which is non-interference, so worst case scenario if it breaks is you're stranded somewhere inconvenient, I wouldn't worry too much about the ATF if it's clean & pink.

Reactions: OnePeddleMissin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi fordem.....

Yeah, I don't know if ATF has a Best Before? lol... The box changes crisply and the Kickdown has a bite like a lurcher.... more a worry as I would have expected a FSH (mebbies) to respect the schedule of time cycle - not 60k.

MOT history shows avg 1500 a year (S507MBY).

I shall be keeping the forum informed of my future mods & tinkering....

OPM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For such an old car, it seems quite tidy..

...... likely garaged, and always dry! Not a lot of Winter Action, I suspect too.

All inner voids and the underside generally will get a 'splodge n smear' of oily goodness asap.

OPM

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
damn, looks like you got a good tidy one, one lady owner, driven only on sundays, well done.

Do the basics, fluid changes etc (yes, get the auto fluid changed too, and use the right stuff) as well as a full brake flush thru with fresh fluid as you don't know how wet the old stuff has gotten over the years.

The auto kickdowns on those 3 bangers can be a bit savage, but they do make a nice growl out the exhaust when they do drop down a cog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a long time 'Headbanginn IMPnutter'.

998cc was my weapon of choice...

I had a 3door 5sp a few years ago and, basically, drove 'carpet crushed mode' everywhere... I lost the carb breathing before topping out on revs!! Love the G10.

With TBI you get a bit more power and the engine is snappy on the pedal... Lovvinnit, m8

I do intend to comb through all service items and MOST IMPORTANT get the oil preserver into the shell pronto 🛢.

Thanks for looking....

OPM

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
I don't know what the TeamSwift forum (www.teamswift.net) is like now, but take a peep over there and see if suprf1y is still around - he had a line of reground cams and also a timing pulley with an offset key that would allow better breathing at higher rpm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, well, well.....

I think we did well here @£13.40

Moulded to the plug recess, in head. Suppressed 7mm.

OPM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered my new rotor arm...... Got the left one!

Opened up my Dizz cap and, lo, we have the right one!

..... yes, the one I bought isn't the 'right one' ... ha ha.

I'm making arrangements for a swap..... Jeezze, how hard can it be?

OPM

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
I'd say it can be worth the while - provided you're willing to pay a few bucks more per tank for high octane fuel,

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
The little car that could.

I owned a 5 door Swift for many years - a 93, with the "big block" 1.3 four cylinder - that car did yeoman service hauling parts, tools & techs around in my computer field service business.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The little car that could.

I owned a 5 door Swift for many years - a 93, with the "big block" 1.3 four cylinder - that car did yeoman service hauling parts, tools & techs around in my computer field service business.
I must have the monster version then, mines a gigantic 1.5, so much fun round town.

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
All I will say is - the part number doesn't match - not even close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, yes I agree m8

I can't find a stockist (UK side) with a FelPro gasket.... so I will go 'shade tree' DIY and drill through two planks of wood [with heavy fibrous gasket sandwiched between] to create the correct size holes - at the correct dimensions - and trim the profile.

Cost me pennies = Job Jobbed :cool:

OPM

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Well, yes I agree m8

I can't find a stockist (UK side) with a FelPro gasket.... so I will go 'shade tree' DIY and drill through two planks of wood [with heavy fibrous gasket sandwiched between] to create the correct size holes - at the correct dimensions - and trim the profile.

Cost me pennies = Job Jobbed :cool:

OPM
as long as its not an asbestos gasket

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't expecting much joy... on the price front... with asking the dealer about a gasket :unsure:
But surprise, surprise.... No Stock!

However he will supply one, in 7days, for the princely sum of THREE English Pounds 🎅

I ordered it....

OPM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts