Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,about 1 1/2 yrs ago I had a mechanic buddy perform the sloppy shifter fix to my trans.I had too much going at the time so I had him do it,maybe not a good idea.When he fixed it of course the fac rubber bushing was toast and my set bolt was sheared off.Well,I have been noticing that my shifter was kinda sloppy again and making a god awful rattling noise.I took it apart saturday to find my replacement bushing(the yellow replacement)was toast and my bolt sheared AGAIN??WTH? Could he have done this wrong or could ther be something causing it to keep going bad?Im going to get the brass ones from Low Range this time and hoping the brass will hold up better.Any in put from anyone ??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The only time I have seen a poly bushing get trashed so fast was when the bolt was sheared first. It seems to kill the bushing faster that way. I have sheared two bolts so far, but I can pinpoint the time it happened because both instances were during rollover/radical landings where I put too much pressure on the shifter trying to keep my balance. The side force popped the bolt.
If you are seeing this from just normal driving, I don't have an answer for you. But the Brass bushing will definately stand up to the abuse much longer.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you have a real bumpy ride and like to hang on to that shifter, or if you like to shift hard, you can snap it with normal use. If you have the older style shifter, you may want to upgrade the shifter and cuff to the newer, beefier shifter with the larger locating bolt.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for yalls in put.Mine is a 88' so im not sure if I have the new style or not?Where would I get one at?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,im going to try to fix it one more time and use the brass bushings.If this doesnt work then I guess I will have to go with this upgrade and try that.The thing is is im on the road 99% of the time so my shifter shouldnt be getting too much stress??Thanks for yalls input,this is how we learn things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts