Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya..
Doing up an old 1995 Sierra SJ70 (soft top) for our daughter...
After hubby has now switched the engine out... I am trying to work out seats and interior... Would the body and interior (seats, paneling, vinyl flooring etc) out of a 1997 SJ80 be a compatible fit with the SJ70?
Thank you in advance.. I have NO idea on this kind of thing..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Most people on here are from the US, I would suggest that you try asking on auszookers.com. Is the SJ80 coil sprung?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up sending a message to Suzuki QLD and this was their reply ...

Suzuki Queensland Hi Una, Great cars!!

The major differences between the SJ70 and SJ80 were the suspension and the transfer gear. The suspension changed from leaf spring to coil spring and the transfer lost neutral.
The front cosmetics of the car also changed. The front fenders, grill, windscreen, bumpers, doors all changed, with an amount of work you may get close to making them go together but we would suggest using SJ70 parts on the SJ70 only. Interior trims, carpets etc should all fit but the will of course be either different colours or patterns

:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I do recall someone on Auszookers fitting the coily front end to an earlier model but it was a lot of work, I think that even the scuttle had to be changed. I'm surprised that the doors are different. Have you got an EFI engine in the SJ80? its much nicer than the old carb engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heya Rhinoman.. Yeah I did ask on the Auszookers forum also and got a slightly different answer and did see the conversions that someone had done, looked like more work than we are wanting to put in at this stage.. We decided to scrap the whole idea and just stick with sourcing the SJ70's parts.. Hubby switched the engine out with the G16A out of an old Vitara that we have sitting around..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The one that I was thinking of was a lot of work, he stretched it and made it a four door as well.
The G16A is a very good conversion, much nicer to drive with the extra torque, you'll enjoy that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts