Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SJ410. I've installed 1 1/2" shackles and pounded the wheel well welds flat and cut off the bumper mounts. I'd like to fit 31"s but without mounting them its hard to tell if they will clear. I'm wondering if anyone has done the same w/o rubbing. If not, short of a spring over or other springs, are there alternatives for more clearance?
Also, how that size affect the highway performance which is weak now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have an SJ410. I've installed 1 1/2" shackles and pounded the wheel well welds flat and cut off the bumper mounts. I'd like to fit 31"s but without mounting them its hard to tell if they will clear. I'm wondering if anyone has done the same w/o rubbing. If not, short of a spring over or other springs, are there alternatives for more clearance?
Also, how that size affect the highway performance which is weak now.
On the US Samurai, a 3" lift is generally accepted as necessary for 31" tires (stock tires are just over 27"). Aftermarket springs (e.g. OME) or spring swaps can get much of this and retain articulation. With taller shackles, the lift is about half the additional shackle height, but long shackles can cause handling to deteriorate. A body lift moves the body away from the wheels and raises the center-of-gravity less than a spring lift and might look a bit different.
Re-gearing the differentials compensates for larger tires, brings back high range and gets your speedometer calibration back closer. Aftermarket transfer case gearsets (with additional high-range reduction) might be simpler and can work well, but do not help with speedometer calibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire clearance

Thanks for the help, I just got 29x11.5x15 Swamper SSR's, plenty of height clearance but they rub on the springs at full lock. I've seen spacers in different widths, I'm not sure 1" is enough. Has anyone had this situation?

Also although they are not loud, its a real handful on the freeway. The shocks are old in replacing them, should I be looking anything longer with this 1.5" lift? Any brand recommends? Also how important is a new steering damper?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
1" spacers are perfect for that situation. I have also used a washer behind the inside knuckle bolt that contacts the axle housing during full lock when I needed just a little more. This reduces the turning radius slightly but will keep the tire off the spring when using large lugged tires (this happened with Swamper SX's - big lugs that stick out).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts