Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last saturday I discovered that the sills of my 2002 XL-7 are more crispy than I thought. Some serious prodding caused a hole of approx. 10 centimeters long just underneath the left hand side B pillar :confused: So far I haven’t found any weak spots in the chassis beams, although some rust is visible on the seams at the rear end of the vehicle.

Not being familiar with decay to this degree, how badly does this impact the rigidity of the bodywork? Are repair panels available?

On the SSG Asia site I found part no. 64560-52D00 “Reinforcement side sill”, but it seems to me that replacing the entire sill panel would not be a cost effective way to deal with the rust.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Depends on your vehicle safety regulations. Sill replacement is the only viable option here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even for vehicles with a separate chassis, with the beams being in a good condition?

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Very much so in my location as the sills are part of the body structure and part of the overall body strength in a collision and are designed to channel impact forces around the cabin.

This may of course be different in your location. Like I said earlier, you need to check your local licensing and vehicle safety requirements to determine what repair and to what standards any repair needs to be done to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems plausible, I will ask around and check locally.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the vehicle checked today, cutting out the rusted area and welding in some new steel should do the trick and it complies with the safety regulations.

We didn’t find other rusted through areas, luckily. I intend to have the car rust proofed for some peace of mind.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Good news, hope you dont find anything nasty when you cut out the bad bits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts