Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at some point in the not too distant future i've got to replace the sills on my samurai.
it's a longbody version and i can't find any replacements for them. i notice that some people have done the job using readily available metal section, but i can't see what they have used or how they've fitted the strips.
does anyone have any experience of this job?
any help much appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
just finished doing that

cut the outer sills out with angel grinder at spot welds, inspect the rust damage

attack rust , and their will be some

next any metal, i got the aluminum check plate off ebay for 60$

bent and shaped up for me , Any body with a metal bender could do it for you , the lip going under the car is less then a inch long and is a simple 90deg bend

My drivers side looked that good after a some bog a sand and some paint. i wish i had done it ages ago and not worried so much about the pop in bits , get in and attack the rust

·
Registered
212 Posts
Checkerplate rockers

^^Like he said ^^!!
Did same on my Sami Put some tar like moisture barrier
on the rocker then fitted the aluminum with pop rivets.
Rides over rocks and logs like sliders. Haven't bent them
yet.
Also bent some around the corners on the rear tub.
Some one sells them.
Been advertized here.
Think it might be CAl-Mini, not sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips, BUT,..... i've got to get the vehicle through the german TüV (this is the mafia that tests for roadworthiness every two years) and i have to weld in a replacement.
i was thinking of using some 2mm steel section, U shaped. at least it would lake a long time to rust through.
anyone replaced the sills by welding in the new ones??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts