Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This morning I went to start the Sierra and nothing, car has power but when I turn the key over nothing happens. No clicks, no turning of the engine. Pulled the battery out to make sure it was fully charged which it was, connections are good. The rest of the car had power, cd player, clock ect...

What could it be? Do they have some sort of starting relay?

Btw its a 94 carbi Sierra if that changes anything. Any help would be great, hopefully if it's a relay ot something I should be able to replace it easily.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
You're going to have to troubleshoot some - possibilities include a defective starter motor, ignition switch, wiring & possibly safety switches - depending on the market and the vehicle, there may be a neutral safety switch or a clutch safety switch.

We'll begin at the starter - look at it and you'll see there are two cables a heavy from the battery positive, and a smaller one - connect a meter or test light between the small cable and the chassis and turn the key - does the lamp light or the meter indciate close to +12V? If the answer is yes, the problem is the starter motor or solenoid (the bump on the side of the starter), if it's no, move to the ignition switch and check there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, will check that out in a couple hours when I get home from work. Surly it can't be to many things being such a simple car!

Do these cars have a ignition fuse/relay?

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Focus on your problem, which, as far as I can figure out, is that it is not cranking or turning over - there's only one fuse that can cause that, and that fuse is good because your clock & CD player, etc. have power.

Based on this, we're troubleshooting a "no crank" scenario.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help I had a good look at the connections at the started motor and the small wire one had come loose and fallen off! Put her back on and made sure she was tight and started straight back up!

Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
You're welcome - glad to hear it was something simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts