Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I purchased a 1990 Suzuki Sierra last week and it has begun to give me problems already. :mad:

I dont know much about these cars but i am trying to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When the car is warm, after driving at decent speeds, it tends to stall on me when slowing down. It becomes harder to start after that and has an odd rev pattern if i do get it started. If I press the clutch in it will rev up to about 3000rpm... or if im moving and change gears, everytime i press the clutch in it revs up about 1000rpm.

Ive noticed that the fuel consumption is high and the car is also backfiring when i ease off the accelerator in high revs.

I believe it could be a problem with the automatic choke or possibly the HIC. :confused:

Can someone please help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello...I would start by changing the fuel filter and other basics like spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor...and check your timming. Also look for any cracked or leaking vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. I actually had a friend look at it and he noticed there was a ford cortina carby on there!? That explains all my problems i'd say. So I got a Sierra carby and replaced it. Started first time and took it for a 20km drive with not one problem.
We will see how it continues although I'm extremely happy it's working after my first carby conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts