Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! Im new here and bought a sierra for the first time!

A few problems have arose, if anyone can help me it would amazing!

I have a Suzuki Sierra 1.3L Carby in australia, 4 cyl. 1992/93. Softtop

1. Engine keeps shutting off as the revs slowly go down to 0 when stopped at traffic light of in neutral etc. (Except, when the lights are on, it doesnt do it- weirrdd)

2. It really smells like fuel as I drive

3. I'm pretty sure its using more fuel than its meant to

4. Theres a hole in one of the hoses and im pretty sure its coolant which spays out everytime the accelator is pressed.

So ye, thats pretty much it!

Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
I have a Suzuki Sierra 1.3L Carby in australia, 4 cyl. 1992/93. Softtop

1. Engine keeps shutting off as the revs slowly go down to 0 when stopped at traffic light of in neutral etc. (Except, when the lights are on, it doesnt do it- weirrdd)
Check your idle settings - there is a separate "idle up" mechanism that sets the idle speed higher when there is an electrical load (like the lights), so if this were set correctly whilst the main idle speed setting was wrong, it would explain why it doesn't stall when the lights are on.

Given this and the other fuel related problems, you might want to have that carburetor serviced.

As for the leaking hose - replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool thanks il check it out, not sure if this is a stupid question or not..but, how do you check/change your idle settings?

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
It's not a stupid question, but, it indicates that you don't have the experience required.

There will be a number of screws - one to set the idle mixture and one or more to set the idle speed - my carb has four idle speed adjustments, fast idle (only active on a cold start), main idle (active when none of the remaining three are active), electrical load "idle up" (active when there is an electrical load - lights, defrost, blower fan) and a/c "idle up" (active when the a/c is on).

My suggestion is that you find a mechanic or a friend familiar with carbureted engines to guide you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
whats your location sierraboy? Im no mechanic,but i have a crapload of spares , and i played with the zooks idle and mixture alot before i swapped motor .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts