Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have been looking everywhere and can't find any light on the subject,
Can an older model (86) sierra be widened by swapping the axles in from a newer model wide track. Any info on this would be great. its a lwb ute and i really need the width to keep it upright. I have a spoa conversion kit waiting to go on and i dont want to weld the perches onto to my narrow track if i can do it to the wider diffs, toyota axle are out of the question cause they will look a bit too suss when i get pulled over by our friends in uniform.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The axles can't be swapped in directly, the wide track has the spring mounts outboard of the chassis rails. You could reposition the spring mounts while you have the welder out. Its not a good ideas to weld the perches on to the wider axles in the narrow track positions because the axles are then prone to bending.
Also note that the diff ratios are slightly different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rhinoman. That makes sense, i shall see how i go, i am yet to decide which option to take! I imagine it would have to be pretty accurate positioning of the spring mounts to make the thing drive and behave properly. I have been told that even a couple of mm difference in the front can chew out tyres.

can anyone predict from past experience the life expectancy of my bearings if i choose to go big offset and maybe spacers. is it worth it or should i try for wider axles!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts