Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I'm new here. I am looking for advice for my situation.

I have a 90 Sidekick 1.6 8V 4x4 w/ manual transmission. The Block is blown but the head is rebuilt. It needs paint/body work.

I also have a 95 Tracker 1.6 8v 2wd w/ automatic transmission. The engine has 160k miles but seems to run good. The transmission is slipping. The paint/body is good.

I'm wanting to combine the two and make one good 4x4 w/ manual transmission.

Should I swap the Engine and body parts to the 90 Sidekick? Or should I swap the transmission and 4x4 to the 95 Tracker? What is the easier/smarter way to go. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hello Everyone. I'm new here. I am looking for advice for my situation.

I have a 90 Sidekick 1.6 8V 4x4 w/ manual transmission. The Block is blown but the head is rebuilt. It needs paint/body work.

I also have a 95 Tracker 1.6 8v 2wd w/ automatic transmission. The engine has 160k miles but seems to run good. The transmission is slipping. The paint/body is good.

I'm wanting to combine the two and make one good 4x4 w/ manual transmission.

Should I swap the Engine and body parts to the 90 Sidekick? Or should I swap the transmission and 4x4 to the 95 Tracker? What is the easier/smarter way to go. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Depends if 4WD is important to you. IF it is I would fix the 4WD. I would not even begin to try to move the 4x4 parts to a 2WD.

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
If you swap all into the 1990, you will also need to swap in the harness and the ECU from the 1995, as well as the distributor. The 1990 is somewhat of a different set up, with a couple of different sensors, as well. The ECU governs spark in the 1995, while the distributor does it in the 1990.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you swap all into the 1990, you will also need to swap in the harness and the ECU from the 1995, as well as the distributor. The 1990 is somewhat of a different set up, with a couple of different sensors, as well. The ECU governs spark in the 1995, while the distributor does it in the 1990.
So the next obvious question is should I just look for a 16v since I have to swap the harness, ecu and distributor anyway?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not the expert on those 8v's but...why don't you just use the long block out of the 95 and put it in the 90? And then canablize all the good body parts of the 95 for the 90? Aren't the engines the same other than the way there fueled and the distributer? You did state that they were both 8v's right?
Yes both 8v. Is it an ez swap from 95 to 90?

·
Super Moderator
25,551 Posts
So the next obvious question is should I just look for a 16v since I have to swap the harness, ecu and distributor anyway?
I don't understand the above - both your cars are 8v...swapping now to a 16v brings in another set of problems...and still the same harness and ECU transfer. The blocks on both engines are the same. Put the 95 block into the 90, and swap the body parts off of the 95 that you need. Probably the simplest option....

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I would just pull the engine from the 95 and drop it into the 90, the panels will swap as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts