Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 kick sport and I am having issues with my drivers side door latch sticking. Usually I have to pull the interior handle a couple times before it opens. The exterior handle functions just fine though. I have lubricated it thinking that that might solve the issue but no luck. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and can help me out.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Location? Past temperatures when opening problems occur? Have you pulled the interior door panel to assess the problem?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
As to outer handle works fine, I'd suspect the inside door handle. They are plastic and get fatigued... then crack and break.

One screw removes it enough to know. As it is the first step in taking off the panel, look at the back side of the handle. If no issue, continue removing the panel to find out what is really wrong.

But if you find the handle bad you can use the one from the rear door from the same side. Rear doors are used less so they last longer. Driver's handles go bad first... go figure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Texas. I don't really know if there is a correlation to the temp cause it literally happens every time I drive it (hot cold or in between). No I haven't pulled the panel off, but plan on doing that tonight. I know that when I remove my interior handle and pull on the rod it opens right up with no issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 97 sport has been doing the exact same thing for like a week now. I took the screw out and all seems fine. its as if the cable has gotten stretched or something and needs to be a little tighter. when I push the handle assembly forward like a 1/4"(with out the screw in) it works fine. I cant see any adjustment on the handle end. I wont be able to take the panel off til the weekend. you can always just roll the window down and grab the outside handle if you need to til you get it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exact issue I am have here Mattzuki. I pulled my panel off last night to inspect and found that there wasn't any sort of adjuster to adjust it back. I pulled off the entire mechanism and coated the moving parts with lubricant and reassembled it. But in the process I broke the little plastic white clip (go figure) that holds the bar, running from the handle to the latch, to the door itself. After I reassembled it( installing a brand new door handle I got in yesterday), it seemed to be worse than when I started. I think I'm going to take it apart tonight and cut the end off and rebend it. Hopefully that works. Will update after I do it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Slightly bend the metal rod which connects to the handle if the handle seems fine. The metal rod seems to straighten over time....no idea why.

Had it happen with new handles. A slight bend to the metal rod to shorten an eighth of an inch...and worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I took your advice Goat and bent the rod. Opens even better than it did when I bought it. Thanks for the help. Such a simple fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my replacement handle today from rock auto. it was like $6.50 plus shipping. it came with a new sleeve/ clip. it was tight but it changed it out with out taking the door panel off. I did try to bend the rod up a little more. hard to tell if I bent it much cause I couldn't get much on it with the door panel on. problem solved. I still detect a slight amount of play but im happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Goat, I had the same problem and used your advice to bend the rod a little and now it works fine. I'll probably have to bend it again after another 1000 pulls if it straightens again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well my wife went to open the drivers door of her 1995 Sidekick down here in Costa Rica and the heavy spring pops half way out. Got it pushed back in and tomorrow I'll try some surgery as you all have suggested. The good thing is there are a lotof these cars around here so finding parts should not be a problem. We advise my results..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts