Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed from manual hub locks to automatic hub locks.
My problem is that they squeal and moan when they are locked in.
Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
No it's not, and I doubt it's the locking hubs that are making the noise - try leaving the hubs unlocked and driving the vehicle in 4H do you still get the noise?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No noise whatsoever. I engaged
4 H, heard this squeal, then stopped and disengaged. I was straight and on a gravel surface.
I was making sure it clicked in, which it did, then stopped, reversed and I heard it click out again. I might have ridden 10 meters when the noise gave me shivers.
Any other test I can do?

·
Super Moderator
15,402 Posts
OK - ignore my question - I just realised you removed manual locking hubs and fitted auto hubs - I though you had done the reverse - sorry about the confusion.

No - squealing & moaning are not normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I swapped them over, I noticed that they were well greased and no rust or sand type objects.

·
Registered
326 Posts
could be something stupid as very dry rubber boots on axle joints, specially if they havent turned around in 4WD in a long while.
and/or... have you checked your front diff oil level/condition?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a lubrication service, and all that was checked. In 2H all is good.
The thing is, I have sold the Sidekick. And I have put the manual hubs on the JLX, which I want to keep. The JA, Sidekick, is the one in question and the one sold.

·
Registered
326 Posts
diff oil was just an option....
lubrication can be checked and good, still, CV rubber can be dry and makes odd nosie, happened to me, and of course, in 2H boots are not turning...so will not make noise. dry front shaft U-joints could also be a culprit.
whatever... put car safely on 4 stands so all wheels in the air, start engine, shift to 4H, put in 2nd or 3rd and let it run turning the wheels.
now try to pinpoint where the noise comes from, even going under the car, just be very careful of moving parts...cant think of another way to find where noise comes from...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turboguzzi, that makes sense. And it sounds logical. Maybe Q20 those rubber boots?
But I'll do that. Let you guys know. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turboguzzi, I've just remembered. The car in question did 4x4 often. I got confused with the JLX that stood for 11 months of the year. So it cannot be those rubber boots.
But I'll get it up on a lift to move the shafts, and then listen.
Sleep tight guys.

·
Registered
326 Posts
sure, just make safe car is really safe on stands and that you dont try touching for "just a sec" any moving parts...

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
I’m confused. On the one hand you say the car you are keeping now has auto hubs. But then you are saying that you are keeping the JLX, which has manual hubs. ????
Or are you saying that you swapped hubs between the JLX and JA, and that you are concerned with the car that you sold (the JA) which now has the auto hubs that were originally on the JLX???
If you still have both cars in your possession, why not put the manual hubs back on the JA and put the car in 4wd and see if you get the same noise. If you do not, then you know that your issue is with the auto hubs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good morning guys.
Bex, you've got it right.
I've sold the JA, which had manual hubs, now auto hubs from the JLX.
I like the manual, hence I want to keep it.
But auto's noisey on JA, so I'll return the manual hubs to the JA. And likewise the auto back to the JLX.
I'm running out of time as the new owner of the JA wants his vehicle. He does not mind what hubs he gets.
So eventually I'll be looking for other manual hubs for my JLX.
Aisin here are about $150 USD each.
Warn a bit more.
2nd hand, well like chicken's teeth.
Importing your own, forget it.
Have a great day guys, and thanks again.
PS when I change the hubs, I'll be measuring the spline half shafts. Just to compare the JA to the JLX. I have a feeling the auto hubs are binding on the wheel hub.

·
Super Moderator
25,128 Posts
The question now becomes, as the JLX has sat for months, whether the auto hubs are noisy on that vehicle, as well. While auto hubs can be serviced, to a point, they also contain plastic parts inside which can break. The manuals are easy to service, so if you can find a Suzuki in a junk yard or similar, that still has the manuals on them, grab them.
Unless there has been some kind of modification on either of these cars, the half shafts should be the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts