Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick 4WD 2 door convertible and am looking for a car cover that will be on the car for most of the year out at my deer lease. I'm looking for something that will keep the car dry, and withstand storms until we can build a car port in a year or so.

Any recommendations for a decent quality car cover that can withstand the Texas sun and storms? Snow and Ice isn't a huge concern. Local auto parts stores don't seem to have anything sized correctly.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
buy one for a F150 and wrap it up twice? I doubt you will find anything that small, I know finding car covers sized to fit is almost impossible, I have a big SUV one for my Swift and I drive the front wheels onto it then fold it back over the car (with it facing into the prevailing wind). its big enough I can tie it completely under the car from side to side and end to end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depending on where the deer lease is at, you could also look at renting a garage or barn spot from a neighbor for one year.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Depending on where the deer lease is at, you could also look at renting a garage or barn spot from a neighbor for one year.
you know you're being too sensible suggesting that. ^_^

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
In the DC area, I'm using the Budge UA-0 car cover ("Protector IV"), which was purchased on Amazon. It's tan and has been on my car outside for two months with no problems.

I believe that size U-0 is the smallest SUV size and seems to fits my 89 Sidekick. It may be about one or two feet too long but the elastic band seems to ensure a snug enough fit. You will need a bungee cord to hook into the grommets below your doors to keep strong winds from blowing it away.

·
Super Moderator
23,748 Posts
Maybe post your source and what you bought, so that others who might be looking for one, can benefit from your experience????

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
A sailmaker added a vinyl window and a hitch receiver opening to this Budge UA-0 car cover over a Sidekick. The hitch receiver opening allows the license plate holder to secure the cover to the bumper. The vinyl window allows parking permits and handicap placards to be viewed.

I want to cover my car because it used to leak when it rains. I've made repairs but I still want to cover my car as a precaution. A lady on the condominium board says that my unsightly car cover obscures the parking permit and the license plate and must go. I've had to park on the street with the cover instead of the condominium parking lot.

I don't want to get rid of my car cover yet, so I went to the sailmaker and added the vinyl window and opening for the license plate holder. Feel free to take bets on whether this is going to placate the lady on the condominium board.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
A sailmaker added a vinyl window and a hitch receiver opening to this Budge UA-0 car cover over a Sidekick. The hitch receiver opening allows the license plate holder to secure the cover to the bumper. The vinyl window allows parking permits and handicap placards to be viewed.

I want to cover my car because it used to leak when it rains. I've made repairs but I still want to cover my car as a precaution. A lady on the condominium board says that my unsightly car cover obscures the parking permit and the license plate and must go. I've had to park on the street with the cover instead of the condominium parking lot.

I don't want to get rid of my car cover yet, so I went to the sailmaker and added the vinyl window and opening for the license plate holder. Feel free to take bets on whether this is going to placate the lady on the condominium board.
$5 says she still bitches.

·
Super Moderator
23,748 Posts
I see your $5 and raise you $10....lol

Condos and coops can truly be a PIA with all their ‘regulations’, etc. My brother lives in one. It’s a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
$5 says she still bitches.
You win...

The condo board lady complained within hours after I installed the car cover with the modifications that she had previously demanded. She apparently thought that I would rather continue to park my car on the street than make those modifications to use the condo parking lot.

I considered asking for reimbursement of the $104.08 that I've spent but I am afraid that may be a lost cause. She's now telling me where on the public street I should park my car. In all of this, the local police tell me they couldn't care less if my car cover hides my license plates.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
You win...

The condo board lady complained within hours after I installed the car cover with the modifications that she had previously demanded. She apparently thought that I would rather continue to park my car on the street than make those modifications to use the condo parking lot.

I considered asking for reimbursement of the $104.08 that I've spent but I am afraid that may be a lost cause. She's now telling me where on the public street I should park my car. In all of this, the local police tell me they couldn't care less if my car cover hides my license plates.
where in the condo rules does it say you aren't allowed a car cover? you pay for that park do you not?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
where in the condo rules does it say you aren't allowed a car cover? you pay for that park do you not?
I have not found any condo rules that prohibit car covers. It is likely that she makes up the rules to suit herself. I've been to small claims court 3 times, have won all 3 times and can probably win judgement for the costs of the modifications that she asked me to make on my car cover.

After watching a movie, "The Farewall," with my wife last night, I'm reluctant to fight the condo board lady. She is retired, lonely, drives an old car, lives with a couple of big mean dogs for security and needs to feel important.

Does anyone have a grandmother, mother or aunt that fits the above description?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Does anyone have a grandmother, mother or aunt that fits the above description?
no, but the HR manager at my old work makes the grade. She has cost the company many tens of thousands in personal grievance claims.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
At this point in my saga...

The lady on the condo board still cannot find the rules prohibiting car covers despite promising to do so.

I've sent to her my receipt for modifying the car cover to allow the parking permit and license plate to be visible to tow trucks.

Best of all - She is keeping quiet :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts