Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how many degrees on a sidehill are TOO many for a stock Samurai? This truck will only be used on our acreage following trails through the woods.

I have a gauge and regularly see 20 degrees on our trails driving my tractor. At 25 degrees I'm uncomfortable and avoid those places.

I know Samurais tend to roll if you attempt high speed turns through orange cones. What about 3mph on a sidehill?

I have noticed the abundance of wheel spacers and may install a set, tho I don't know which size would be best. Any suggestions?

The zook currently has 205/75/R15, just a little bit bigger than stock. These are street tires and I may look for a more aggressive tread in something like a 195/75 if DW has any traction problems.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have rolled my trail rig to both the drivers and passengers sides before, but that was only doing stupid things without a spotter...

Both times, it didn't go over until the inclinometer had already pegged. I believe that was just over 35 degrees. I usually never look at it though. I installed it so the passenger had something to look at as we crawled through the rocks (when they got nervous).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, Bill! I carve my trails so that 20 degrees is our max sidehill.... anything steeper and I find another way. I only put the gauge on because a member of a tractor forum was preparing to purchase one from the same manufacturer as mine and needed to know how they performed on sidehills. As I said, I got to 25 and that was the limit for me, but that was on a 20 degree sidehill that had a hole. That particular place isn't really a trail but the steepest part of an area I mow.

DW won't be getting anywhere that steep... the actual "trails" are pretty mild.

... more like this "before" pic:

Phil

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The aftermarket gauges usually go to 25 degrees. The genuine Suzuki gauges go to 45 degrees, I don't recall whether or not they had a redline. How far you can lean it will depend on the setup. Wheels spacers or less back spacing will improve stability, lifts will reduce stability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a lot of variables that can affect your vehicles centre of gravity, some seen more easily than others,

For slow speed stuff we have always found the "seat of the pants" pucker factor kicked in long before the truck was in danger of tipping.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For slow speed stuff we have always found the "seat of the pants" pucker factor kicked in long before the truck was in danger of tipping.
Well, she has it and we tried the trails. No pucker-factor, not even close. This machine is VERY stable (as long as it doesn't see any orange cones). The steepest sidehills, the ones that put the pucker-crease in my tractor seat, weren't even the least bit scary.

Thanks again for the help and I'll be coming back for more advice soon.

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts