Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does one remove the then mental flange side rocker that was covered by plastic? Do you hammer them off?

Most I see dont have this flange.. I think they take it off and put a rock slider on

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Walker,
That's on my ever-stretching list of things to do. Do you have a pic of what it is you're talking about regarding the flanges? Just curious what I'll be looking at soon, and what it looks like behind the plastic. I've taken the screws out, but didn't have the patience to see what I needed to do next to get them off there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i found!!

Using an ¼ " drill bit, drill a hole through each spot weld holding the metal mounting frame that held the plastic rocker panel to the side of the body. Try to put the hole in the center of the spot weld, if possible. This will save patch work later. Remove the mounting frame from the body and discard. Using a sanding disc, remove any sharp edges left from the spot welds and any rust found on the body panel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay I'm a teensy bit confused. What is the point of the screws that are in the plastic rockers? Or should I say, is that where I need to drill with the 1/4 bit? Through the holes where the screws are removed from? And I don't know what this mounting frame is that you mentioned. If anyone has any pics, that would be awesome.
Thanks Walker

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You can also look for a spot weld removal bit. Use it to drill through the weld without cutting into the layer below.

Another option is to just cover them up with something a bit more sturdy, that will also help on the trail.

RockBiters
Built by Zuks OffRoad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, I think I understand now with Billjohn's picture. So Billjohn, is that what is actually behind the plastic covers, or is that some aftermarket part for what usually goes behind the plastic. Like a good replacement for a rusty piece? I guess I could go out in the garage and take a peek under the Sami to see if that's what's mounted undet the sills. Maybe tomorrow. :)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Okay, I think I understand now with Billjohn's picture. So Billjohn, is that what is actually behind the plastic covers, or is that some aftermarket part for what usually goes behind the plastic. Like a good replacement for a rusty piece? I guess I could go out in the garage and take a peek under the Sami to see if that's what's mounted undet the sills. Maybe tomorrow. :)
Walker posted a good shot of the 'plastic hanger'. The pics I posted are aftermarket rocker armor. But you can also see the installation from start to finish by checking out the article. Here ya go, click the link.

RockBiters

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BillJohn
do you know where I can get those plastic screws that held on the fenders and rocker cover? They have many a great use!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I believe you can still get them from the dealership parts department. They are a common item. But if you want to cut costs a bit you can also foind something very similar from the local auto parts store.

You also may be able to get them from Petroworks. They sell the MudBuster fender flairs that use those stock screwsets, so they may carry them on the side.
PetroWorks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts